Should I just accept now? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Should I just accept now?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Kris31280 wrote:It was an honest question and obviously I'm new here. I didn't realize these forums were for people who lack common decency with their fellow man.
Look I felt the same way as you when I joined this site. But the truth is that it's really bad out there. If you don't have a stone cold lock on a job now, Florida Coastal won't give you one. Just make you sure you seriously evaluate your situation before enrolling, and remember that even with a 20K scholarship for each year you're still looking at 100K in debt when you graduate.

EDIT: In regards to acrossthelake's post, Florida Coastal curves to a 2.5 GPA median for the first semester and 2.7 thereafter.

--LinkRemoved--

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Kris31280 wrote: The stipulation on the scholarship is a 2.9 GPA must be maintained. In my entire school career I have never carried less than a 3.6.
Have you ever gone to a school where you were graded on a strict curve and the entirety of your grade depended on one exam that is unlike any other exam you've ever taken?

The curve at Florida Coastal is 2.5. There is a decent chance you could lose your scholarship. Then not only do you have shitty grades but you're paying full price at one of the worst law schools in the country. What are you going to do if your boss decides in three years that he actually can't hire you?

Everything about this situation sounds like you are making a huge mistake.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:31 pm

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:34 pm

OP, If someone wrote a 300 word letter for you that means they'll definitely pay you 6-figures out of school regardless of the school. Cutting a check takes much less time than a whole letter. And if by chance, thingsndon'tnwork out you can always blame the zionists.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Kris31280 wrote:It was an honest question and obviously I'm new here. I didn't realize these forums were for people who lack common decency with their fellow man.
Look I felt the same way as you when I joined this site. But the truth is that it's really bad out there. If you don't have a stone cold lock on a job now, Florida Coastal won't give you one. Just make you sure you seriously evaluate your situation before enrolling, and remember that even with a 20K scholarship for each year you're still looking at 100K in debt when you graduate.

EDIT: In regards to acrossthelake's post, Florida Coastal curves to a 2.5 GPA median for the first semester and 2.7 thereafter.

--LinkRemoved--
trust me, some of the harsh remarks on this thread are being made because people really, really want to discourage you from doing what you are about to do, and for good reason. Have you noticed that not a single person has replied, "sure, great idea, go ahead!" I promise, it's not because we're assholes (though some of us are. but I digress. )

Read what I quoted above. Take it from me- most of us go to law school thinking we will manage to stay at the top of the curve. Most of us do not accomplish this feat, and it has nothing, nothing to do with brains or hard work or integrity or whatever we used to believe made us successful. The things that helped you succeed in school before are not going to guarantee you anything. You can work your tail off and end up below the median. It sounds like at this school, the minimum you need to keep your scholarship lands you in the top quarter of the class. The people that you go to school with (esp. at the place that you are considering) are going to be ferociously motivated. And even if you are too, it just means that it's more of a crapshoot.

I wish you the best of luck, but I urge you to take some of the advice in this thread. It's pretty clear that you want to do this, but if you didn't have a doubt in your mind, you wouldn't be posting for the first time on this board full of people obsessed with law school about whether or not it is a good idea. Listen to that nagging doubt. It is trying to tell you something, and it is right. You sound like a nice, hardworking person. At the very least, spend a month or two educating yourself about the realities of the kind of "deal" Florida Coastal is offering you (links, TLS? ) and then accept.

* edited for typo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:46 pm

You're a single mom. This sounds like a disaster. Go to Maryland, don't pick up and leave to some area where you hope to make connections, out of a school that is known for it's stipulations it places on scholarships, and its awful job prospects. This isn't fair to your kid(s). If you can't get into a top regional school with scholarship or a T14 with some money in your situation, do not go. I repeat. Rethink this. Do not go to Fla Coastal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”