I Didn't Write "Why Michigan" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Regina217

New

I Didn't Write "Why Michigan"

Post by Regina217 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi TLS,

I recently applied to Michigan and I did not submit a "Why Michigan" essay. I wrote one of the other option essays but I didn't write a "Why Michigan" because at the time I was under the impression that most of those essays look alike and that they may not be terribly useful to the admissions committee. I also was under a great deal of stress. Anyway, I've been seeing on TLS that writing a "Why Michigan" is very important. Could I write one now and submit it as a supplement? I know that the admissions committee has not looked at my app yet, I have not even received my status checker yet.

As a side note, I also wanted to submit a "Why Stanford" but I didn't- should I submit one to Stanford as well? I could always save that for if they waitlist me...

paul34

Bronze

Re: I Didn't Write "Why Michigan"

Post by paul34 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viacavour

New

Re: I Didn't Write "Why Michigan"

Post by viacavour » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm in the same boat as you, I applied to Michigan without a Why Michigan - mainly because my PS was quite tailored to Michigan and I mentioned the school and some of its programs by name in the last paragraph.

Then I got on TLS and started freaking out since everyone seems to think the Why Michigan is basically mandatory so I'm working on it now and will email it next week (~3 weeks after I submitted my initial app). I don't think this will be a problem since Michigan is quite slow at processing, I havent' even gotten a status checker yet.

I also may submit the Diversity statement that I wrote for Penn - I feel like the more extra essay's the less likely I am to get YP'd

as a side note- I did receive a handwritten note from Dean Z along with my fee waiver and viewbook stating that they love to get students from XXX (my undergrad). Did this happen to anyone else? If so, what do you think it means?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”