Please advise... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mtmorce

New

Please advise...

Post by mtmorce » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:51 am

I am applying for a scholarship, and need to submit a brief statement that summarizes my involvement in public service activities. I am having trouble narrowing this and keeping it brief. The activities that I think might go in this category are:
1. mentor to at-risk first-year college students (FYI this means students whose achievement has been compromised in the past by personal, economic or educational barriers among other things)
2. Mentor to students in Upward Bound program (basically the same as above, but with hs students)
3. writing tutor at my university for ESOL students and students with disabilities (paid by university)
4. tutor in res hall (volunteer)
5. Volunteer in Attorney General's office

I am curious of a few things: first, whether there is a problem with listing any of the above things and second, how brief is brief here-- should I outline (list in paragraph format essentially), or discuss these experiences in a few sentences a piece? Lastly, this is all that they ask for in the way of a scholarship application, so should I acknowledge the scholarship at all, or just stick to what they are asking (the brief summary of public service activity)?

Really curious to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance!

ladybug89

Bronze

Re: Please advise...

Post by ladybug89 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:43 am

The only one that doesn't seem to fit is your tutoring in your res hall - I'd consider leaving out, but on the other hand keeping it in probably won't hurt, so it's up to you.

I think you should summarize each activity in a brief paragraph (as you say, a couple of sentences each). I've got no clue what the exact wording of your prompt is or what exactly they want, but I'd feel uncomfortable throwing my hat in the ring without some acknowledgement of future goals in public service. So maybe do a short introduction that says you have a strong background in public service and plan to continue your commitment as a lawyer (or w/e), and then jump into the activity-summaries? That would be the strategy I'd use, I think.

I could be totally off base, but those are my 0L two cents.

mtmorce

New

Re: Please advise...

Post by mtmorce » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks so much! A perfect response. The prompt was just above-- to submit a statement briefly summarizing your public service activity :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”