Lowest LSAT score you've heard of getting into _____ school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Lowest LSAT score you've heard of getting into _____ school?

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:37 pm

viacavour wrote: Certainly both H and Y reserve a certain number for spots for TFA corps
citation needed

viacavour

New

Post by viacavour » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Citation is the law school handout I have from a TFA recruiter. There isn't as much info available online - they just say that they have partnerships with H and Y, no specific details.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:48 pm

viacavour wrote:Citation is the law school handout I have from a TFA recruiter. There isn't as much info available online - they just say that they have partnerships with H and Y, no specific details.
So you have this mysterious and vague pamphlet (totally reliable bro) that mentions something not disclosed anywhere on the web (seems legit), and you got this pamphlet about how awesome an organization is from that organization (good source of info dawg)?

I find it a lot more believable that someone is full of shit than that TFA has some super secret quota at Yale and Harvard.

viacavour

New

Post by viacavour » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Now you're just being an asshole. I have no incentive to lie about this - maybe you don't think their recruiting info is legit and thats fine but calm the fuck down.

lexdiamonds

New

Post by lexdiamonds » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:04 pm

138- Northern Illinois Law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:06 pm

From the HLS FAQ:

What kind of partnership do you have with Teach For America ?

Because of our continued interest in and respect for Teach For America corps members and alumni, we have created a new (non-financial) award for Teach For America alumni, to be granted to two members of the entering class each year on the basis of their commitment to public service and a willingness to engage in public service work and recruiting projects at Harvard Law School. These two students will be designated Teach For America Scholars, and will be asked to serve as Public Service Admissions Ambassadors (a position which comes with a small stipend). We also grant a 2-year deferral to anyone who is admitted to HLS and plans to serve out a commitment to Teach For America.

Although it's different from a quota and it isn't exactly a scholarship, I think this signifies that they're confident there will be/has been at least be two TFA members in their entering class.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:From the HLS FAQ:

What kind of partnership do you have with Teach For America ?

Because of our continued interest in and respect for Teach For America corps members and alumni, we have created a new (non-financial) award for Teach For America alumni, to be granted to two members of the entering class each year on the basis of their commitment to public service and a willingness to engage in public service work and recruiting projects at Harvard Law School. These two students will be designated Teach For America Scholars, and will be asked to serve as Public Service Admissions Ambassadors (a position which comes with a small stipend). We also grant a 2-year deferral to anyone who is admitted to HLS and plans to serve out a commitment to Teach For America.

Although it's different from a quota and it isn't exactly a scholarship, I think this signifies that they're confident there will be/has been at least be two TFA members in their entering class.
Yeah, I think any top school is going to have at least a handful of TFA alumni per class (I know a few in my year) because it's a good soft, because TFA is enormous, because a lot of people do TFA before law school, etc. But I still think it's ridiculous to suggest there's a quota.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Chicago offers up to 5 TFA scholarships per year. Northwestern actively seeks out applications from TFA alumni.

viacavour

New

Post by viacavour » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Also a number of firms offer guaranteed call backs to TFA alum

http://www.teachforamerica.org/why-teac ... rtnerships

Not specifically law school admissions but still another big TFA boost which again just shows how much the legal community likes TFA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:17 pm

U of Illinois wasn't requiring an LSAT for entrance into their law school for a select few individuals.

thus I think a 0 on the LSAT is the lowest :roll:

Do I win a prize? :shock:

viacavour

New

Post by viacavour » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Chicago offers up to 5 TFA scholarships per year. Northwestern actively seeks out applications from TFA alumni.
Michigan also does 5 TFA scholarships, Penn does 3

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:20 pm

viacavour wrote:Also a number of firms offer guaranteed call backs to TFA alum
Judging by that websire, the number of firms that offer guaranteed callbacks is 1.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:17 pm

The TFA trolling going on ITT is egregious and dumb as fuck. It's not a significant boost. The supply of TFA alums who apply to law school is massive. There are plenty of TFAers with strong numbers. Schools don't have to give them an advantage to get several of them each year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:29 pm

TFA is a huge boost at Northwestern & gets priority review & quick decisions at other T-14s. For example, Northwestern admitted a TFA with a 153 in the last two years & another poster in this thread reports an even lower LSAT for a NU TFA admit.

P.S. NYU also encourages TFA alumni to apply.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:TFA is a huge boost at Northwestern & gets priority review & quick decisions at other T-14s.
Quick review, fee waivers, targeted recruiting... That's not a boost. That's an advertising campaign.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Not when they are accepted with low numbers & awarded scholarships.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:33 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Not when they are accepted with low numbers & awarded scholarships.
Link.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Go to your admissions office at NU & ask. Research Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Harvard & Penn websites.

P.S. There are several other tier one law schools that pursue TFA alums as well. Just research each law school's website for TFA fee waivers & scholarships.

I recently read a T-14 admissions dean interview in which the dean stated that TFA & Peace Corps are the most impressive soft factors.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Go to your admissions office at NU & ask. Research Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Harvard & Penn websites.

P.S. There are several other tier one law schools that pursue TFA alums as well. Just research each law school's website for TFA fee waivers & scholarships.
Recruiting =/= boost. I don't deny that they encourage them to apply but the idea that it will overcome shit numbers + whiteness is nonsense.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:40 pm

And you attend Northwestern ???? I understand your opinion, but a little research should correct that. Just start with your own school's admissions office or venture cross-town to Chicago.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:And you attend Northwestern ????
Yes and I am friends with several TFAers and their numbers are normal for NU. You are full of shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Not true for all. Certainly many TFA alumni have solid numbers, but not all, especially at Northwestern. The 153 LSAT admit is currently one of your classmates, for example.

P.S. Do you & you classmate friends really exchange LSAT scores ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Not true for all. Certainly many TFA alumni have solid numbers, but not all, especially at Northwestern. The 153 LSAT admit is currently one of your classmates, for example.
One person doesn't establish a practice. There is way more counter-evidence, thanks to LSN.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:58 pm

@IAFG: Earlier in this thread you posted that your class at Northwestern has a student with an LSAT in the 140s so I find it odd that you are reluctant to believe that a member of your class from TFA has a 153.

Also, LSN is a very small group of members who share numbers & results, but not necessarily other background info. such as TFA status.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote: I find it odd that you are reluctant to believe that a member of your class from TFA has a 153.
Are you illiterate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”