Character and Fitness question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nonner22

Character and Fitness question

Postby nonner22 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:08 pm

As I'm finalizing my applications, I'm unsure of whether or not to include a careless driving misdemeanor in my application.

The charge was issued when I was 17, and because of this has been adjudified (to my understanding, cleared off my record once i payed my fine and turned 18, and was without incidence for 6 months.. which I was). I've done some snooping around to try and find some kind of criminal record for myself, and was unable to find anything.

Thus, I don't know whether this is something I should mention on my application or not. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

john1990

Re: Character and Fitness question

Postby john1990 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Some schools will require that you disclose all arrests even if their is no record.
Also, it is common for adjudicated convictions to come up on background checks. They could easily find this so you must disclose.
Further, you should be able to get a background check at your State Division of Criminal Justice Services.
They are prompt. You can schedule an appointment for a fingerprinting within a few days and then you should get something in the mail within a week, expect to pay close to $75

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 pm

john1990 wrote:Some schools will require that you disclose all arrests even if their is no record.
Also, it is common for adjudicated convictions to come up on background checks. They could easily find this so you must disclose.
Further, you should be able to get a background check at your State Division of Criminal Justice Services.
They are prompt. You can schedule an appointment for a fingerprinting within a few days and then you should get something in the mail within a week, expect to pay close to $75

My understanding is all juvenile records are sealed and possibly expunged (especially non-felonies). I know quite a few people who have tried to find juvenile records and/or infractions (from 10+) years ago and there are no obtainable records.

If you know of specifics where I am wrong please let me know.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 pm

i have a misdemeanor which showed up on my record from when i was 17. Not sure if it is supposed to, i have to contact the appropriate offices i guess. Many things showed on my record from when i was a minor, and i reported them all.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:20 am

When in doubt, disclose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”