splitter/procrastinator looking for input(/reassurance)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cjb0502

splitter/procrastinator looking for input(/reassurance)

Postby cjb0502 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:13 pm

so I waited wayyy too long to ask for recommendations (1st week of November). I told my 2 recommenders that sending the lors before 12/1 would be fine, but the sooner the better. both said they would send them within 2 weeks. neither letter has been processed yet, and I just sent emails to make sure they were sent.

while freaking out that my t14 chances are steadily slipping away, I had another thought-

Isn't it fairly common for schools to 'hold' splitter apps until all applications are received, regardless of when they apply? which would mean that a splitter applying late won't suffer as much (or maybe not at all!). and since apps are down overall this cycle, maybe schools will wait longer to decide on borderline applicants b/c everything else is more unpredictable?

(the first point I think I actually believe, 2nd is a bit of a stretch...)

I'm most concerned about how this will affect my chances at Northwestern and Georgetown.
stats: 174, 3.1, 3yrsWE

other schools planning on applying to:

columbia, nyu, chicago (<- just expecting small shot at the WLs, regardless of application time)
michigan, penn, virginia, gw, fordham, american, case western, brooklyn, cuny

thanks!

JDizzle2015

Re: splitter/procrastinator looking for input(/reassurance)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 am

Splitter here as well, although not as extreme as you...

So far Michigan, GULC and Cornell have sent plenty of acceptances to splitters already this cycle so your chances may be hurt a tad. As far as I know, Northwestern has only given full-ride ED's so far and no regular acceptances.

That said, just because NU hasn't rendered a decision to us doesn't mean they don't already have an accept/deny pile in the office (with splitters). There's just no way of knowing whether or not they've actually made decisions on splitters yet.

I wish I could be more comforting except to say that most non-TLSers I know applying to this cycle are still working on their apps/waiting until winter break. I think the key is to send it in before Dec test takers get their scores back. Good luck. I hope your recs know they're cutting it close.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:14 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:Splitter here as well, although not as extreme as you...

So far Michigan, GULC and Cornell have sent plenty of acceptances to splitters already this cycle so your chances may be hurt a tad. As far as I know, Northwestern has only given full-ride ED's so far and no regular acceptances.

That said, just because NU hasn't rendered a decision to us doesn't mean they don't already have an accept/deny pile in the office (with splitters). There's just no way of knowing whether or not they've actually made decisions on splitters yet.

I wish I could be more comforting except to say that most non-TLSers I know applying to this cycle are still working on their apps/waiting until winter break. I think the key is to send it in before Dec test takers get their scores back. Good luck. I hope your recs know they're cutting it close.

+1 to that stuff. I've heard multiple places that Jan 15 is the point of no return and if you can't be complete by that date you need to wait it out a year.

FWIW, I think you'll be in a NU if your recs and PS are any good.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Sound advice above. To be frank, your post does seek some reassurance of hope. While I encourage you to be optimistic, I do want to impress upon you that the timliness of your applications and the effectiveness of your LOR's and personal statement are important. I would not leave chance up to hope, even with a lower number of LSAT test takers. Get some double time on, crank out everything you can and kick procrastination out of your vocabulary.

You ask for input and reassurance, and here it is: work hard for yourself and you'll be alright. If you leave things to chance and speculation you will be at the mercy of something other than your own efforts.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Go for it this cycle, as soon as you can. If you don't like your choices in the end, apply next cycle.

cjb0502

Postby cjb0502 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Opie wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:Splitter here as well, although not as extreme as you...

+1 to that stuff. I've heard multiple places that Jan 15 is the point of no return and if you can't be complete by that date you need to wait it out a year.

FWIW, I think you'll be in a NU if your recs and PS are any good.

Thanks guys - you've actually made me feel a lot better.

found out one lor was sent over thanksgiving weekend, so should hopefully show up soon. the other now promises it'll be sent (and I told him to also fax it) early this week.

and FWIW, I agonized over my PS, DS (unfortunately I'm a non-UR, M), whyXs, and GPA addendum, and NU interview went really well I think. the main reason I didn't ask for LORs until Nov was b/c I wanted to give them near-final drafts of everything...

I'm going to get my ass in gear this weekend, final-edit everything, so I can submit the second the LORs come in.

thanks again and good luck to everyone!

cjb0502

Postby cjb0502 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Go for it this cycle, as soon as you can. If you don't like your choices in the end, apply next cycle.

wise words. I guess worst-case I stay another year at a job I really enjoy and save some money so my impending debt is slightly less crushing.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:22 pm

cjb0502 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Go for it this cycle, as soon as you can. If you don't like your choices in the end, apply next cycle.

wise words. I guess worst-case I stay another year at a job I really enjoy and save some money so my impending debt is slightly less crushing.

That's what I did (get a job before law school) and it's definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. Not only did I skip two of the toughest law school admissions cycles (2009-2011), having some money in the bank does make me feel a lot more certain about the decision to actually go to law school.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:31 pm

They don't necessarily hold splitters. I was a splitter at my current law school and got in first round.

Be careful about doing the apply now and re-apply tactic, too, unless you're fine giving up some of your lower possibilities. Schools won't like it if you turn them down to re-apply: they'll be inclined to offer you less money or waitlist you the second time around.

CodyRuegger

Postby CodyRuegger » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm a 3.35/176 and I've already received two acceptances... I applied around Nov 1. 0 denies/WL's thus far. One of these two schools was a target at which I was slightly below the median of the index; so sometimes, they decide pretty quickly if they see something they like.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”