NYU ED Deferral - Chances for RD admission???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cactuarX3

NYU ED Deferral - Chances for RD admission???

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Was recently deferred from the NYU ED program to be considered in the RD pool. Have a few questions for anyone who has some experience with this:

1) How many people actually get deferred (as opposed to outright reject) or is deferral = soft rejection?
2) How many people who were deferred in the past actually got in through the RD cycle?
3) What to do now (LOCI/moar LORs)?

Any input/opinions/flames/LOLcat photos are appreciated. Thanks!

JDizzle2015

Re: NYU ED Deferral - Chances for RD admission???

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:51 am

1) & 2) No one can really tell you but here's the data of EDers from last year's LSN: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

It looks like there weren't too many reported waitlist-->rejections. Most were outright rejections/acceptances. Out of the two waitlists, one was accepted and the other didn't update LSN/is in limbo forever.

3) Yes, LOCI and new LORs would most likely be helpful although NYU looks like more of a numbers driven type of school where they'll let you in because someone with your characteristics whom they accepted ended up withdrawing as opposed to your charming your way in. However, I guess it doesn't hurt to show your interest.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:54 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:1) & 2) No one can really tell you but here's the data of EDers from last year's LSN: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

It looks like there weren't too many reported waitlist-->rejections. Most were outright rejections/acceptances. Out of the two waitlists, one was accepted and the other didn't update LSN/is in limbo forever.

Waitlisted isn't the same as deferred.

I would send in a LOCI & targeted LOR. Reinforce that if admitted you would still absolutely attend, etc.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:10 am

luxxe wrote:Waitlisted isn't the same as deferred.

I would send in a LOCI & targeted LOR. Reinforce that if admitted you would still absolutely attend, etc.

Ahh, right. RC fail. Thanks for catching that. :)

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Is there any way to filter for deferred EDers on LSN or elsewhere and see what their result was?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Very interested in this thread. And I have another couple questions to add:

I'm planning on sending another LOR, LOCI, and updating my transcript. Is there any way to ensure that adcoms won't make a decision based solely off one of the three if the other two haven't updated at that point? I know NYU doesn't update apps until the 15th of each month, so if I try to get all three in before the 15th would that solve the problem?

Also, would it be worth it to send a third academic LOR (not targeted), or a professional LOR (targeted, my boss went to NYU undergrad). Want to make the best impression possible, but slightly worried because the academic LOR won't be targeted.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Killingly wrote:Very interested in this thread. And I have another couple questions to add:

I'm planning on sending another LOR, LOCI, and updating my transcript. Is there any way to ensure that adcoms won't make a decision based solely off one of the three if the other two haven't updated at that point? I know NYU doesn't update apps until the 15th of each month, so if I try to get all three in before the 15th would that solve the problem?

Also, would it be worth it to send a third academic LOR (not targeted), or a professional LOR (targeted, my boss went to NYU undergrad). Want to make the best impression possible, but slightly worried because the academic LOR won't be targeted.

You could write a note when you send in your LOCI that an update to your transcript and another LOR are on their way and to evaluate your file in the context of all three.

As for LOR, are you in undergrad still? If so, then academic might be better, but if you're a few years out of school (like me) then go for the professional one. In the end, I guess it should be whoever knows you better and is happier to write you an LOR.

I think we're in for a very interesting cycle with this whole deferral thing...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”