Misdemeanor Possession Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crv8623

Misdemeanor Possession Addendum

Postby crv8623 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 am

My senior year of high school, I was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for a minor traffic violation. The driver of the car reached for the glove box to get his insurance and inside of the glove box was a small amount marijuana. I was arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I was ordered to perform X amount of community service within X timeframe. I am currently in the process of having this charge expunged from my record and have received a letter from the Illinois State Police expressing their agreement to having this incident expunged from my record.

I am waiting for the exact amount of community service performed and the amount of time it had to be performed in.

Is this an adequate addendum for this offense?

D-ROCCA

Re: Misdemeanor Possession Addendum

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:12 am

crv8623 wrote:My senior year of high school, I was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for a minor traffic violation. The driver of the car reached for the glove box to get his insurance and inside of the glove box was a small amount marijuana. I was arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I was ordered to perform X amount of community service within X timeframe. I am currently in the process of having this charge expunged from my record and have received a letter from the Illinois State Police expressing their agreement to having this incident expunged from my record.

I am waiting for the exact amount of community service performed and the amount of time it had to be performed in.

Is all they need to know.

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:37 am

D-ROCCA wrote:
crv8623 wrote:My senior year of high school, I was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for a minor traffic violation. The driver of the car reached for the glove box to get his insurance and inside of the glove box was a small amount marijuana. I was arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I was ordered to perform X amount of community service within X timeframe. I am currently in the process of having this charge expunged from my record and have received a letter from the Illinois State Police expressing their agreement to having this incident expunged from my record.

Is all they need to know.

I thought a description of the events and the consequences were required as well?

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:23 pm

I don't even know if it's worth mentioning the expungement, I don't think they'll really care. Maybe add a line about you successfully completing the community service within the timeframe (although it's implied)

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Include only: What you were charged with, when it happened, what happened to the charge, how you've matured since then
Do NOT include: Circumstances, explanations, excuses

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:06 pm

[quote="InGoodFaith"]Include only: What you were charged with, when it happened, what happened to the charge, how you've matured since then
Do NOT include: Circumstances, explanations, excuses[/quote

I want to include how I matured after that, however, I received a ticket for marijuana paraphernalia around 4 months later. Since then my record has been clean .

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:09 pm

crv8623 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Include only: What you were charged with, when it happened, what happened to the charge, how you've matured since then

I want to include how I matured after that, however, I received a ticket for marijuana paraphernalia around 4 months later. Since then my record has been clean .

Doh.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Sounds like you should apply to law school in Cali bruh.

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
crv8623 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Include only: What you were charged with, when it happened, what happened to the charge, how you've matured since then

Doh.

Yes, I made a mistake. However, it was almost five years ago, and I have not had an infraction since. Should I ignore the maturity aspect in the first addendum and then add a maturity aspect to the second marijuana infraction?

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Sounds like you should apply to law school in Cali bruh.

Ha, except I hate Cali and I don't enjoy Mary Jane's pleasures anymore. She is evil, very evil.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:19 pm

crv8623 wrote:I want to include how I matured after that, however, I received a ticket for marijuana paraphernalia around 4 months later. Since then my record has been clean .

Well, the tone of your addendum makes it seem as if you were just caught in a bad circumstance... you being ticketed for a similar offense 4 months later makes you seem like a lying, repeat offender. I'd stick to the absolute basics of: What, where, when for both offenses and then talk about how you've changed/matured. But, if both of these instances were recent (within the last 12 months), it'll be difficult to explain how you've matured already.

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
crv8623 wrote:I want to include how I matured after that, however, I received a ticket for marijuana paraphernalia around 4 months later. Since then my record has been clean .

Well, the tone of your addendum makes it seem as if you were just caught in a bad circumstance... you being ticketed for a similar offense 4 months later makes you seem like a lying, repeat offender. I'd stick to the absolute basics of: What, where, when for both offenses and then talk about how you've changed/matured. But, if both of these instances were recent (within the last 12 months), it'll be difficult to explain how you've matured already.

They were about four years ago.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Okay, here's what I'd do. Do the when, what charge, and what happened to charge thing for charge 1. In the same addendum, add in the same for charge 2. These two steps combined should only be four sentences total (when and what charge in 1st sentence, what happened in 2nd, repeat for charge 2).

After that, explain how you've matured since then in the same addendum.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Okay, here's what I'd do. Do the when, what charge, and what happened to charge thing for charge 1. In the same addendum, add in the same for charge 2. These two steps combined should only be four sentences total (when and what charge in 1st sentence, what happened in 2nd, repeat for charge 2).

After that, explain how you've matured since then in the same addendum.

And apply to UC Boulder where they will have professors who are high during class.

Miznitic

Postby Miznitic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:34 am

You'll gain entry to law school, but wait until it is time for your C&F evaluation.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:57 am

Miznitic wrote:You'll gain entry to law school, but wait until it is time for your C&F evaluation.

It's been over 4 years, and it will be over 7 years (hopefully) by the time he faces the bar. Disclose, keep your nose and lungs clean, and you should be fine.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 am

If I'm not mistaken, this is round two for this addendum.

I make a similar comment as last time, with a similar caveat that I am no expert on this. This addendum leaves me confused, and feeling like you are trying to hide the ball.

Ex. My senior year of high school, my room was searched after my roommate complained about a strange smell. When the closet was opened, a small amount of human remains spilled out. I was arrested on and charged with murder in the second degree. I was ordered to spend 11 years in the state penitentiary. I am currently in the process of formalizing my parole agreement.

See what I mean?

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:01 pm

My senior year of high school, I was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I accepted full responsibility for my actions and the judge ordered me to serve X amount of community service. I am currently in the process of expunging it from my record.

During my freshman year of college, I received a ticket for drug paraphernalia and was required to pay a small fine. I was in possession of a marijuana pipe. I felt ashamed and embarrassed for two similar incidents occurring within a year time frame. I was determined to never let this happen again. As a result, I have not smoked marijuana and have had no similar occurrences on my record since that date.

Do these two addendum look at any better?

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Miznitic wrote:You'll gain entry to law school, but wait until it is time for your C&F evaluation.

It's been over 4 years, and it will be over 7 years (hopefully) by the time he faces the bar. Disclose, keep your nose and lungs clean, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the support Mr. Pancakes!

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Try this:

My senior year of high school, I was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I was ordered to serve X amount of community service.

During my freshman year of college, I received a ticket for drug paraphernalia and was required to pay a small fine.

I am ashamed and embarrassed for my past behavior regarding these situations. I have accepted full responsibility for both events, and have abstained from said substance since the latest occurrence. Also, I am in the process of trying to have these incidences expunged from my record.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Try this:

My senior year of high school, I was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I was ordered to serve X amount of community service.

During my freshman year of college, I received a ticket for drug paraphernalia and was required to pay a small fine.

I am ashamed and embarrassed for my past behavior regarding these situations. I have accepted full responsibility for both events, and have abstained from said substance since the latest occurrence. Also, I am in the process of trying to have these incidences expunged from my record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”