Timeliness of LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PopTorts13

Timeliness of LOR

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:01 am

I submitted my Applications via LSAC in late November and have received a message from some of the schools I applied to saying that my application had gone complete with 2 letters of recommendation. LSAC just received my 3rd LOR. A few questions:

1.) Would you think that my 3rd LOR will make it to my completed apps in time for review?

2.) For applications that have not gone complete, will the LOR make it in time to be included in a completed file and not delay the process?

3.) Should I be contacting any of the schools I applied to about this, whether my file has gone complete or not? LSAC has received the 3rd LOR but has yet to send it, hence the missing envelope icon.

Thank you so much for any insight and please no trolling; I'm just looking for some help and peace of mind. Best of luck everyone with your cycle!

bp shinners

Re: Timeliness of LOR

Postby bp shinners » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:32 am

In all likelihood, that third LoR won't make the difference in your application. You can send it to schools at which your file hasn't yet gone complete, but I would save it for waitlists at the schools that are already reviewing your application (I would probably save it for that at the schools that you aren't complete yet, anyway).

oaken

Postby oaken » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 am

I am in the exact same situation - my 3rd letter of recommendation (which was especially important because it was my only one from a professor) was just mailed yesterday. I sent in my apps around Thanksgiving, so most of them have already gone complete (since for most, the minimum is 2), but I was worried because neither of those were from a professor and I had been expecting this third one to be mailed around Thanksgiving (but my professor had some stuff come up and couldn't get it out until now).

Point is: the other day I emailed the admissions office of every school that I haven't heard back from yet and just told them that this LoR was on its way, is key to my application because it's from a professor, etc. I think they all replied back: most said they'd put a note in my file, one or two asked if I wanted them to put my application on hold until it arrived (I said yes), and another one or two just said it didn't matter because they still hadn't even started looking at my app yet.

If you think that this LoR is really important to your application (like mine was), I'd email all of the schools and just let them know/ask to have the application put on hold. Otherwise, I agree with bpshinners, if it's just supplementary it won't matter too much.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 am

Thank you for the wisdom. I appreciate the help :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”