Is a misdemeanor reckless driving a minor traffic violation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adc18

Is a misdemeanor reckless driving a minor traffic violation?

Postby adc18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 pm

A lot of schools ask for crime convictions on their apps, but they specify that minor traffic violations don't count.

I was convicted of an RD in Virginia when I was 18 and pleaded guilty with a deal. No alcohol involved, just speed. It's technically listed as a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

Should I report this or not? I believe I should (although are they just defining DUIs as major traffic violations?) and that law schools wouldn't really care.

If I report it, they ask for explanations so I think I would have to be clear that this was just a speeding offense rather than a DUI taken down to an RD.

Bildungsroman

Re: Is a misdemeanor reckless driving a minor traffic violation?

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:40 pm

I think this falls outside what can legitimately be counted as a "minor traffic violation." Disclose.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 pm

A speeding ticket is considered greater than a minor traffic ticket and must be reported
Reckless driving is far outside the scope of minor traffic violation and must be reported, since it is a misdemeanor.

Sorry to break the bad news.

adc18

Postby adc18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought. When they say detailed...how detailed (do i need to get into what the speed was?)? Would something like this suffice?

I was convicted of a misdemeanor reckless driving in Virginia in 2007. I made a mistake and have maintained a clean driving record since. I would also like to note that this was purely a speeding violation and no alcohol or substances were involved.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:13 pm

john1990 wrote:A speeding ticket is considered greater than a minor traffic ticket and must be reported
Reckless driving is far outside the scope of minor traffic violation and must be reported, since it is a misdemeanor.

What? Really?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:13 pm

I was convicted of a misdemeanor reckless driving in Virginia in 2007 for speeding. I now realize that speeding is dangerous and I do not speed anymore.

Your was fine too, but I do not think it is a good idea to bring up drugs or alcohol. The admissions office will know that they are not a part of reckless endangerment/driving. Mentioning them might create false perceptions.
Last edited by john1990 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:15 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
john1990 wrote:A speeding ticket is considered greater than a minor traffic ticket and must be reported

What? Really?

I had many applications which said that i did not have to disclose minor traffic violations. They went on to say that speeding tickets must be disclosed, so i began to assume that speeding is beyond the scope of a minor traffic violation.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:16 pm

john1990 wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

What? Really?

I had many applications which said that i did not have to disclose minor traffic violations. They went on to say that speeding tickets must be disclosed, so i began to assume that speeding is beyond the scope of a minor traffic violation.

I saw plenty of apps that excluded minor traffic violations but I don't remember a single one of those where they said speeding wasn't a part of that exempted category. What school was this?

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 pm

john1990 wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

What? Really?

Hmm...I guess I just don't know what would constitute a "minor traffic violation" if a speeding ticket doesn't. Failure to obey traffic control devices maybe?

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:18 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:Hmm...I guess I just don't know what would constitute a "minor traffic violation" if a speeding ticket doesn't. Failure to obey traffic control devices maybe?

Parking ticket?

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:19 pm

TylerM wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:Hmm...I guess I just don't know what would constitute a "minor traffic violation" if a speeding ticket doesn't. Failure to obey traffic control devices maybe?

Parking ticket?

I would consider that a "parking violation," not a "traffic violation." But maybe I'm just fucking with semantics here....

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Sorry guys, after reviewing my apps it appears that i was mistaken. Speeding tickets are minor traffic violations :oops:

However, reckless driving is still outside of the scope of minor traffic violations

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm

john1990 wrote:Sorry guys, after reviewing my apps it appears that i was mistaken. Speeding tickets are minor traffic violations :oops:

However, reckless driving is still outside of the scope of minor traffic violations

Agreed with the bolded. Please disclose!

adc18

Postby adc18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm

john1990 wrote:I was convicted of a misdemeanor reckless driving in Virginia in 2007 for speeding. I now realize that speeding is dangerous and I do not speed anymore.

Your was fine too, but I do not think it is a good idea to bring up drugs or alcohol. The admissions office will know that they are not a part of reckless endangerment/driving. Mentioning them might create false perceptions.

My issue with that is that oftentimes a DUI is lessened into a reckless driving using certain legal tactics and I want to let them know that I wasn't under the influence in any way. Meaning, I plead guilty b/c I got a damn good deal (just a fine...for RD cases, VA usually suspends licenses and/or a weekend or two in jail), not because I was pleading guilty so that I wouldn't be convicted of a worse crime.

I'm definitely going to disclose. I personally doubt (and am hoping it won't) it's going to matter, but who knows...it could.

Another example of a minor traffic violation is a cell phone while driving ticket in New York City and certain other cities/states.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:39 pm

If you want to avoid mentioning alcohol, you could state that you were arrested and convicted for... This way they know that DUI charges were never filed. Or you can just be explicit and say that this was not for DUI. It probably won't hurt you either way.

adc18

Postby adc18 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Uhh...I was convicted of 95 in a 65. I'm not sure if I want those specifics involved, since RD is anything 20 over or over 80...and I'm considerably above on both counts.

I might just state bluntly that "This was a purely a speeding violation and not a result of negotiating down a DUI case."

To elaborate on what I said earlier, DUI and reckless are completely separate, but you CAN be charged for both...let's say if you were driving dangerously while drunk. They're not always inclusive, but not always exclusive, too. For instance, you can get a DUI even while you're driving "normally."

In some cases where both charges are made and the prosecutor for whatever reason doesn't have that much confidence in the DUI case, you will see a guilty plea for only the RD with the DUI charges dropped.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”