Explain your Lower LSAT score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lakers3peat

Explain your Lower LSAT score

Postby lakers3peat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Just got an e-mail from one of my schools asking about my point discrepancy on the LSAT. Not sure what to say exactly. The first time I took it, my uncle had just died. Though, I don't think that affected my performance. The second time I was really nervous and choked. Then the 3rd I just did better? Lol, I really don't know what to say but this is the e-mail I sent back. Know that this is an e-mail from a safety school of mine so I'm not too worried about it but on none of my applications did I include an addendum. It just didn't make sense to me. I didn't have mono or the flu or broken hand... I was unprepared the 1st time, nervous the 2nd time, and ready the 3rd...

"To whom it may concern:

This e-mail is to clarify my LSAT score discrepancy. The LSAT is a difficult test that requires much preparation. An uncle of mine passed away November 2011. Between traveling for the funeral, church, and mourning time, I did not have much time to prepare and I feel that affected my performance for the December LSAT. I then retook it in June after I had some time to prepare but this time, I let my emotions interfere with my performance. I was very nervous at a test center I was unfamiliar with and did not perform near my potential. I was determined to do well as both my prior testings were well below my practice LSAT average. I then spent the next 2 months preparing for the October LSAT and took it at the same test center with a better mentality. I knew I was prepared and I was familiar with how the LSAT is administrated. Truth be told, after reviewing over my October LSAT I was actually a little disappointed because I made a few minor mistakes that cost me a potential 167. Nevertheless, I hope that you will look at my 165 as an accurate reflection of my potential. I feel as though I am well qualified to attend USD law and would be thrilled to be admitted.

Thank you for your time and consideration throughout this admissions process."

steubenville

Re: Explain your Lower LSAT score

Postby steubenville » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:43 pm

You should be fine. A 165 is a great score, and if you have a decent GPA, all the better. Personally, I'm surprised they asked you for a clarification but I'm sure your family situation will suffice. At my law school (ND), there's a guy who went from a 158 to 170 and still got tons of scholarship money. He has the best "LSAT screw up" story I've heard from someone in person: As a former religious minister, he thought he saw one of his parishioners in the testing room!

Pick a good school and have fun with it. Keep your costs low and your optimism high. Try to enjoy the material. Law school is a great experience, the incessant, boisterous gripes of not a few notwithstanding.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Wow, what a nice response for a Monday afternoon lol. Yeah it was a little surprising to get an E-mail about my LSAT score, especially from a school I'm like 98% sure I will get into. I have a 3.65 and 165 so I'm well above the medians for the school. It just made me nervous because I didn't say anything on any of my other apps but whatever. If they ask, I'll send about the same e-mail. Now back to the terrible wait for admissions letters/emails/phone calls/website checks, whatever it is.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm

USD may be considering you for a scholarship award & just wanted a complete application package. Many, maybe most, law schools require an addendum for LSAT score differences of 5 points or greater. This may also be a way for USD law to gauge your continued interest in that school.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Interesting... HOpefully it's for a nice fat scholarship lol. I wonder now if I'm going to be getting lots of e-mails/letters about LSAT addenda

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 am

CanadianWolf wrote:USD may be considering you for a scholarship award & just wanted a complete application package. Many, maybe most, law schools require an addendum for LSAT score differences of 5 points or greater. This may also be a way for USD law to gauge your continued interest in that school.

This is definitely wrong. I have an LSAT score difference of 9 points and did not write an addendum. I carefully read the application instructions at every school I applied to, and not a single one asked for an addendum.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 am

cerealdan wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:USD may be considering you for a scholarship award & just wanted a complete application package. Many, maybe most, law schools require an addendum for LSAT score differences of 5 points or greater. This may also be a way for USD law to gauge your continued interest in that school.

This is definitely wrong. I have an LSAT score difference of 9 points and did not write an addendum. I carefully read the application instructions at every school I applied to, and not a single one asked for an addendum.

Maybe not most schools but some of them do.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:56 pm

none of the schools I applied to demanded one, most seemed optional. That's why it was weird to get an E-mail about it. The only school I got the vibe that they wanted it was USC.

vkgarrett

Postby vkgarrett » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:04 pm

lakers3peat wrote:none of the schools I applied to demanded one, most seemed optional. That's why it was weird to get an E-mail about it. The only school I got the vibe that they wanted it was USC.

USD sent me a similar email asking to explain. Short & sweet is my philosophy, they already have to read so much. I received an acceptance a few days later via mail, if that makes you feel any better :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”