MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby lulzalicious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:10 pm

This is a random question, but I havent seen any info on any school sites about it.

Can I do an MA at one university whilst doing my JD at another? There are a lot of schools with combined programs but the MA Im interested in/specific faculty are at a diff school than where Im hoping to go to law school.

Has anyone done this? Do schools have any kind of rule against this?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 pm

This doesn't sound possible...how would you be able to plan your classes so you could get to two campuses?

I just thought of Hermione's time-turner... :D

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby lulzalicious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Haha well Ive made multiple jobs and school work in the past, Im guessing it'd be a similar task. Im not worried about it being possible, I can make that work....Im just wondering if its 'allowed' lol.

Thanks

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm

I know a girl who's doing that. She started her MA program first, then is doing nothing but law school for 1L, and is going to schedule classes in some way to complete both law school and the masters over the next two years.

So, I imagine it's allowed, why wouldn't it be?

User avatar
SehMeSerrious
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 am

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby SehMeSerrious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I've heard of joint programs through universities that are on opposite ends of the country, so it's possible, but ask the law schools and MA programs in question directly.

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby lulzalicious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 am

cinephile wrote:I know a girl who's doing that. She started her MA program first, then is doing nothing but law school for 1L, and is going to schedule classes in some way to complete both law school and the masters over the next two years.

So, I imagine it's allowed, why wouldn't it be?

SehMeSerrious wrote:I've heard of joint programs through universities that are on opposite ends of the country, so it's possible, but ask the law schools and MA programs in question directly.


Great, both of those are encouraging. Although 3 years on an MA sounds exhausting... seems like its allowed though, so Ill write them n ask. Thanks!

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 am

If you don't intend to eat or sleep, maybe it will be possible....but still maybe.

Sarcasm aside, no.

Have you looked into Joint Degree programs at the same school? or maybe doing part-time for each program?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:32 am

lulzalicious wrote:
cinephile wrote:I know a girl who's doing that. She started her MA program first, then is doing nothing but law school for 1L, and is going to schedule classes in some way to complete both law school and the masters over the next two years.

So, I imagine it's allowed, why wouldn't it be?

SehMeSerrious wrote:Great, both of those are encouraging. Although 3 years on an MA sounds exhausting... seems like its allowed though, so Ill write them n ask. Thanks!


4 years actually.

goodwillhunting
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby goodwillhunting » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 am

It is possible, although it depends on the university. For example, Yale has JD/MPA with Princeton, and Harvard's Kennedy School has joint degree with a host of other law schools and business schools (including west coast schools like Berkeley and Stanford). If you can do it with MPA/MPP, I can't imagine why you can't do it for MA.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby top30man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:27 am

I know GULC let's you do this specifically. I'd imagine most would let you though.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:20 am

You would have to ask the school. Even if they let you, it would be really obnoxious to coordinate. I'm in a joint program on the same campus and at times it's a logistic nightmare.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arthrod, blackpi, nicolexyn and 2 guests