MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lulzalicious

MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby lulzalicious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:10 pm

This is a random question, but I havent seen any info on any school sites about it.

Can I do an MA at one university whilst doing my JD at another? There are a lot of schools with combined programs but the MA Im interested in/specific faculty are at a diff school than where Im hoping to go to law school.

Has anyone done this? Do schools have any kind of rule against this?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Curious1

Re: MA and JD simultaneously at diff schools?

Postby Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 pm

This doesn't sound possible...how would you be able to plan your classes so you could get to two campuses?

I just thought of Hermione's time-turner... :D

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Haha well Ive made multiple jobs and school work in the past, Im guessing it'd be a similar task. Im not worried about it being possible, I can make that work....Im just wondering if its 'allowed' lol.

Thanks

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm

I know a girl who's doing that. She started her MA program first, then is doing nothing but law school for 1L, and is going to schedule classes in some way to complete both law school and the masters over the next two years.

So, I imagine it's allowed, why wouldn't it be?

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I've heard of joint programs through universities that are on opposite ends of the country, so it's possible, but ask the law schools and MA programs in question directly.

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 am

cinephile wrote:I know a girl who's doing that. She started her MA program first, then is doing nothing but law school for 1L, and is going to schedule classes in some way to complete both law school and the masters over the next two years.

SehMeSerrious wrote:I've heard of joint programs through universities that are on opposite ends of the country, so it's possible, but ask the law schools and MA programs in question directly.

Great, both of those are encouraging. Although 3 years on an MA sounds exhausting... seems like its allowed though, so Ill write them n ask. Thanks!

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 am

If you don't intend to eat or sleep, maybe it will be possible....but still maybe.

Sarcasm aside, no.

Have you looked into Joint Degree programs at the same school? or maybe doing part-time for each program?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:32 am

lulzalicious wrote:
cinephile wrote:I know a girl who's doing that. She started her MA program first, then is doing nothing but law school for 1L, and is going to schedule classes in some way to complete both law school and the masters over the next two years.

SehMeSerrious wrote:Great, both of those are encouraging. Although 3 years on an MA sounds exhausting... seems like its allowed though, so Ill write them n ask. Thanks!

4 years actually.

goodwillhunting

Postby goodwillhunting » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 am

It is possible, although it depends on the university. For example, Yale has JD/MPA with Princeton, and Harvard's Kennedy School has joint degree with a host of other law schools and business schools (including west coast schools like Berkeley and Stanford). If you can do it with MPA/MPP, I can't imagine why you can't do it for MA.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:27 am

I know GULC let's you do this specifically. I'd imagine most would let you though.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:20 am

You would have to ask the school. Even if they let you, it would be really obnoxious to coordinate. I'm in a joint program on the same campus and at times it's a logistic nightmare.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”