character and fitness: minor in possesion

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laxbrah420

character and fitness: minor in possesion

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I plead not guilty to a MIP I got as a freshman and it was closed as nolle prosequi.
Can I just attach the court transcript and say, "this charge was brought against me by an undercover Alcohol and Tobacco agent at college football tailgate?"
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Re: character and fitness: minor in possesion

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

2007 – Minor in possession – Nolle prosequi by City Attorney
Charged by Alcohol and Tobacco officer for drinking beer as a minor at a College Football Tailgate. City Attorney agreed to drop the case after I submitted proof of a day of community service. That was the most expensive beer I've ever had.

ADks

Postby ADks » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm

You usually don't have to attach any official court documents (sometimes you do though if stated in the app). Just give the date, time, your age, SHORT description of the incident (maybe citation numbers or whatever too), the outcome, and then say, "I have learned a great deal from this incident". or something like that in a SHORT addemdum, which they usually have you attach to the online application.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:16 pm

I said I was not guilty though...does that look dumb to say I've learned a lot?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:06 pm

don't want to bump this obnoxiously, but can anyone else offer an opinion; since i plead not guilty, how do i go about explaining it?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 am

laxbrah420 wrote:don't want to bump this obnoxiously, but can anyone else offer an opinion; since i plead not guilty, how do i go about explaining it?

Just explain the situation exactly as it happened. There's no point in lying or trying to make it sound better than it actually was.
Also, be brief about it. It's not like a law school will deny you because you had a beer (or 10) underage. I mean, fuck, I've seen people get into law school with way worse criminal activity, such as a DUI.

In short, just give a brief explanation of the incident. Explain that you plead not guilty. Explain that the county attorney would drop the charges if you did a day of community service. Lastly, explain that you did the community service and the charges were dropped.

As for explaining that you learned something from the situation, I would probably just say that you will never have to face this situation again since you are now of the legal age (assuming you are) to consume an alcoholic beverage and that this incident is in no way indicative of your character.

HTH.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”