Significance of Admission Fee Waiver??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blueliner23

Significance of Admission Fee Waiver??

Postby blueliner23 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:40 am

I received a packet of info from UGA law today with a flyer stating that they had waived my application fee. My question is, is this simply a "marketing" ploy they use to get a lot of people to apply? Or do they actually know my information due to UGA being one of my top choice schools on the LSAC.org website?

I have taken the LSAT once, but I received a laughable (at least for UGA standards) score of 148. My GPA is a 3.2 in Accounting. Due to my grades, I would imagine this is just a gimmick they use to get people to apply.

I did take the LSAT again December 3rd, but the score isn't out yet.

Don't blast me for asking this, I am just curious if there is any significance to fee waivers or if they are simply a gimmick.

Thanks.

Bildungsroman

Re: Significance of Admission Fee Waiver??

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:52 am

Getting a fee waiver is meaningless as to your chances of admission.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:00 am

Sometimes they are trying to grab students who they actually want (numbers wise), and other times it seems as though they're trying to convince students to apply so they can reject them and appear to be more selective in the process.

I'm sure more goes into it than that, but generally the waiver means very little (nothing) when it comes to admissions. Take advantage of them if you're interested and have the time (and $16).

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:37 am

blueliner23 wrote:I received a packet of info from UGA law today with a flyer stating that they had waived my application fee. My question is, is this simply a "marketing" ploy they use to get a lot of people to apply? Or do they actually know my information due to UGA being one of my top choice schools on the LSAC.org website?

I have taken the LSAT once, but I received a laughable (at least for UGA standards) score of 148. My GPA is a 3.2 in Accounting. Due to my grades, I would imagine this is just a gimmick they use to get people to apply.

I did take the LSAT again December 3rd, but the score isn't out yet.

Don't blast me for asking this, I am just curious if there is any significance to fee waivers or if they are simply a gimmick.

Thanks.

It is essentially meaningless in terms of your chance for admissions. It seems to me that they waive application fees so that more people will apply so that they can reject more people, so they seem like they have a more competitive application process. Some schools specifically state that receiving the waiver does not increase your chances of admission. I've gotten lots of fee waivers from schools that I am horrible unqualified for.

I would consider it a money-saver for the schools that you were considering applying to anyways, and read nothing more into it.

Also, I'm almost positive that schools can't see how you rank them on LSAC.org.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Nothing.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Nothing, but if you have any interest why not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”