February LSAT and applying

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JoeC12

February LSAT and applying

Postby JoeC12 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:16 pm

My scenario: Took the June LSAT and didn't score as well as I would've liked. Due to a number of extenuating circumstances, I had to push my retake back to this February. I would like to attend law school this fall. Is it too late to send in my application as soon as I get my Feb results back?

P.S.- I anticipate my Feb LSAT to be approximately 5-8 points higher than my June LSAT.

JoeC12

Re: February LSAT and applying

Postby JoeC12 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:33 pm

ANyone?

JoeC12

Postby JoeC12 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:50 pm

bump

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:02 pm

'Too late' depends on which schools you are applying to. Unless I have the wrong impression, many schools stop accepting apps right around then which is a little risky.

Also, many of the seats will be taken which will make it more unlikely if your numbers become borderline.

Lastly, much of the scholarship money will be accounted for so I wouldn't expect to recieve too much, if any.

Have you considered just applying next cycle?

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:37 pm

i'm applying now but hoping my feb retake will help my chances of acceptance. however, counting on a feb score is risky business bc it just may be too late to optimize ur xcycle. goood luck!

psm11

Postby psm11 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 pm

i'm planning on taking the Feb LSAT also. all the schools i am applying to take a feb score so check with your schools.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:03 pm

You will be at a great disadvantage relatively to people who submitted their applications months ago. You can try to apply, but you will underperform your #'s. That's fine if you want to get a gauge of where you can go, but taking a year off is almost universally better. Even if you end up applying to the same schools, you'll probably get scholly money where you were just admitted the year before.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 am

The official deadline for most schools is March 1, so technically, you are not too late. But the later you wait, the more spots that will fill up and the less scholarship money there will be to give.

You will be at the greatest disadvantages for the schools you want to apply for that you are underqualified for. However this depends on your score.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:28 pm

cutecarmel wrote:The official deadline for most schools is March 1, so technically, you are not too late. But the later you wait, the more spots that will fill up and the less scholarship money there will be to give.

You will be at the greatest disadvantages for the schools you want to apply for that you are underqualified for. However this depends on your score.

The issue is, however, that you won't get your score back until the middle of March so you don't really know what schools you should be targeting at that March 1 deadline.

To OP: The law school admissions process is a rolling one which means that most law schools fill up more than half their seats, conservatively, before the February test is even administered. Therefore, in my opinion, you would be at an extreme disadvantage. This is true at most top schools but there are exceptions to the rule; Yale is the only elite school I can recall that does not do rolling admissions. USC does rolling but doesn't make decisions until ~February so taking the LSAT then wouldn't be so bad. If you absolutely have to take February, prepare to under-perform your numbers. I would highly suggest waiting until next cycle to get a head start and to make sure your essays/letters of rec/resume/etc are flawless.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Like others have said, you probably won't get into schools you could have earlier in the cycle. You should have shouldered the burden of taking the October or December test..regardless of what was going on. If you have the money to waste, it may be worth throwing in a few apps..but the best course of action would be to hold off until next cycle.

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 pm

I was in the same boat, and asked the same question a month or so ago. I was encouraged to sit out another cycle, study and score well on the following June exam to apply for the next cycle. I like you wanted to apply for Fall 2012, and instantly rejected that idea. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was the best option (for me at least). The reality is, if you want to give yourself the best shot at getting acceptance, Feb scores are just too late unless, of course, you absolutely KILL the Feb LSAT. But even then, you never know. You may get a really hard test and not do as well. Anything could happen.

Read the thread below, and talk to a prelaw adviser. That really helped clear up a lot of things for me. All things considered, you'll have the rest of your life to study/practice law. Ask yourself if 1 more year is REALLY going to hurt. Also, take into consideration that working for a year can also help your chances of getting in.

Just food for thought. Hope it helped.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=171098

-Boydwick

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”