Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby boosk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Hey guys,

I recently landed a full-time salaried Gov't Affairs position w/ a large electric utility in my state. I would think this would sound good to schools but I've already submitted all my apps. Should I update the schools that I haven't heard back from yet? How should I go about this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby boosk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:22 pm

this just occurred to me: updated resume? seems simple enough...

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby duckmoney » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:25 pm

I wouldn't make any moves until you actually start working.

Once you do, either an updated resume would work, or a simple email / letter that says "I wanted to let you know I recently took a job with blah blah blah where I blah blah blah all day, and will continue working there for the next XX months" would work too and specifically highlight your new experience.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:26 pm

It won't matter very much to your application. LSAT and GPA are all that matter. It may signal to the schools that you care enough about their decision that you are following up with them, but again if your LSAT and GPA suck, you won't get in.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:27 pm

duckmoney wrote:I wouldn't make any moves until you actually start working.

Once you do, either an updated resume would work, or a simple email / letter that says "I wanted to let you know I recently took a job with blah blah blah where I blah blah blah all day, and will continue working there for the next XX months" would work too and specifically highlight your new experience.

This is credited.

At the very least, it shows continuing interest

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby boosk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:37 pm

fyi: just finished my 1st week in the position... had to skip last week of classes/rearrange finals scheduling w/ profs to start on time.

If indicating # of months I actually intend on spending here shows an obvious preference to defer enrollment for a year, I assume that it would be viewed negatively (I havent even received decisions yet, mind you).

Any thoughts?


Thanks again guys.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby Opie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

boosk wrote:fyi: just finished my 1st week in the position... had to skip last week of classes/rearrange finals scheduling w/ profs to start on time.

If indicating # of months I actually intend on spending here shows an obvious preference to defer enrollment for a year, I assume that it would be viewed negatively (I havent even received decisions yet, mind you).

Any thoughts?


Thanks again guys.


Unless your numbers are too good to pass up, I wouldn't give then any indication that you want to defer. You could say "I plan to work there until beginning classes..."

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby duckmoney » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Total law school applications have been dropping fast, and everything indicates this trend will either continue next year or at least level out. You're probably better off waiting and applying early next cycle with a year of actual work experience than applying now and deferring.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Landed job post-app submissions, should I update schools?

Postby boosk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 pm

duckmoney wrote:Total law school applications have been dropping fast, and everything indicates this trend will either continue next year or at least level out. You're probably better off waiting and applying early next cycle with a year of actual work experience than applying now and deferring.


too late




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ssolli and 6 guests