Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby roranoa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:28 am

For example, I saw someone on lawschoolnumbers who had a 177/3.8 get rejected by Harvard. Many others with similar numbers were waitlisted there.

Why do you think JR rejected or wailisted these people? Most people here say it's all a numbers game but clearly that's not true. For what kind of reasons do you think these people with high numbers don't get accepted?

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby HellOnHeels » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:26 am

roranoa wrote:For example, I saw someone on lawschoolnumbers who had a 177/3.8 get rejected by Harvard. Many others with similar numbers were waitlisted there.

Why do you think JR rejected or wailisted these people? Most people here say it's all a numbers game but clearly that's not true. For what kind of reasons do you think these people with high numbers don't get accepted?

I'm not sure why someone with high number would get rejected, unless they're murderers or something, but just because someone has written down 177/3.8 doesn't actually mean that's what they have.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby kwais » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:47 am

2 additional things to consider

someone with those numbers can be a piss poor writer and not pass the most basic threshold in their essays

Harvard gets more of top number applicants than it can take (maybe not 177, 3.8, but you get the point)

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby ahduth » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:50 am

3.8 might mean 3.75 and I think they have a hard cutoff at 3.80.

They also might have been a schmuck.

I got rejected for both reasons probably (plus the low LSAT).

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby booboo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:19 am

ahduth wrote:3.8 might mean 3.75 and I think they have a hard cutoff at 3.80.

They also might have been a schmuck.

I got rejected for both reasons probably (plus the low LSAT).


High five?

icpb
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby icpb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:29 am

People with one number above 75th and one below median get rejected routinely, especially considering 3.8 is very low for Harvard. It's Harvard, and it's prestigious enough to attract applicants with numbers above both 75th who aren't even going to apply to Yale. Even people with numbers above both 75th get rejected/waitlisted sometimes.

User avatar
soitgoes9
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 am

Also don't put too much faith in one poster on lawschoolnumbers. Look at the trends and floors both at each school and multiple people with similar numbers before you draw conclusions.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby bp shinners » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:06 pm

ahduth wrote:3.8 might mean 3.75 and I think they have a hard cutoff at 3.80.


Not true. I got in with less than a 3.8 (less than a 3.7, in fact). That may have changed over the past few years, though.

They also might have been a schmuck.


If that was a reason for rejection, half the people I graduated with wouldn't have gone to school there ;-)

In all seriousness, though, there are plenty of reasons for someone with qualifying numbers to get rejected from a school. Yes, the numbers are the most important two factors, but selective schools have the luxury of being able to looking beyond them. If you write an awful essay (and, believe me, I've seen some awful ones from people with 3.9+ GPAs and 175+ LSATs), you're probably going to be disappointed with where you get into law school.

User avatar
Lovely Ludwig Van
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Just to throw this in - from looking at Harvard's past LSN charts, seems like a lot of the people with median/above median numbers who get waitlisted or rejected are self-identified music/accounting/finance/etc. majors. My guess is that these applicants get a lot more scrutiny placed on their PS and transcript because they haven't had a lot of writing experience in undergrad.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:17 pm

bp shinners wrote:
ahduth wrote:3.8 might mean 3.75 and I think they have a hard cutoff at 3.80.


Not true. I got in with less than a 3.8 (less than a 3.7, in fact). That may have changed over the past few years, though.



Hm I would say that under Toby Stock, it was a soft floor at 3.7, and a hard floor further down. (with exceptions made for ppl from certain undergrads...I believe if you were H undergrad, 3.5/177+ was golden). Josh Rubenstein raised the soft floor to a 3.8, with 3.7 becoming a much harder floor than before. If you look at LSN, ppl in the 3.7-3.8 zone with 177+ LSATs basically ALL get in under Toby Stock, but if falls to ~50% under JR.

justinp
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby justinp » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:33 pm

.
Last edited by justinp on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby mrtoren » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

"Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?"

Answer: Because life isn't fair.

User avatar
BiglawOrBust
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby BiglawOrBust » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:51 pm

It was probably due to YP

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Why do some people with high numbers get rejected?

Postby Gail » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:It was probably due to YP


I think this is the majority of it. Some can be from poor applications. Some will be the time of it all. Some will be because your numbers are all you have and you have not accomplished much otherwise, maybe thirty. Less will be Character and Fitness, ten or twenty at most.


Then again, someone with 177/3.9 can probably have all of those negatives and still be accepted by one T6. If there's one thing that LS has over business school, its that the numbers really do make it a more even playing field.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests