Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
fashiongirl
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

My teacher sent me my LOR after he already submitted it to LSAC.

Is it okay that he missed a letter in my last name AND also misspelled my first name wrong in the last paragraph only? It was weird...he spelled my first name correctly in the first 4 paragraphs and in the last paragraph he spelled it incorrectly, 3 times. I had him in 3 classes so he obviously knows me but it's been 2 years since I graduated. Other than that, it was a great letter...

If he sent it in with the cover sheet I sent him it should be ok right? Has anyone had their recommender send in another letter to LSAC, revised? Can I do this?

Thanks.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby Samara » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:35 pm

fashiongirl wrote:My teacher sent me my LOR after he already submitted it to LSAC.

Is it okay that he missed a letter in my last name AND also misspelled my first name wrong in the last paragraph only? It was weird...he spelled my first name correctly in the first 4 paragraphs and in the last paragraph he spelled it incorrectly, 3 times. I had him in 3 classes so he obviously knows me but it's been 2 years since I graduated. Other than that, it was a great letter...

If he sent it in with the cover sheet I sent him it should be ok right? Has anyone had their recommender send in another letter to LSAC, revised? Can I do this?

Thanks.

It's a pretty small error on their part and they got it right for most of the letter. I wouldn't worry about it.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it makes them look bad, not you

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 pm

gaud wrote:Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it makes them look bad, not you

It makes their relationship with the student and their knowledge about that student look bad, which reflects poorly on the recommendation. But who cares, it's just a recommendation.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
gaud wrote:Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it makes them look bad, not you

It makes their relationship with the student and their knowledge about that student look bad, which reflects poorly on the recommendation. But who cares, it's just a recommendation.



I completely agree that it could appear that way.. i'm assuming adcomms will just assume it to be a mistake though considering in parts of the LOR the name is spelled correctly

i admit i may be wrong, just sayin

User avatar
SehMeSerrious
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 am

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Damn, this happened to me for a fellowship application (non-native English speaking professor) and I have no idea if/how it'll affect me. All they had to do was copy-paste.

User avatar
theadvancededit
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby theadvancededit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:00 pm

fashiongirl wrote:My teacher sent me my LOR after he already submitted it to LSAC.

Is it okay that he missed a letter in my last name AND also misspelled my first name wrong in the last paragraph only? It was weird...he spelled my first name correctly in the first 4 paragraphs and in the last paragraph he spelled it incorrectly, 3 times. I had him in 3 classes so he obviously knows me but it's been 2 years since I graduated. Other than that, it was a great letter...

If he sent it in with the cover sheet I sent him it should be ok right? Has anyone had their recommender send in another letter to LSAC, revised? Can I do this?

Thanks.


It depends on how grave the misspelling is. For instance, my first name is perpetually misspelled but, considering it's a more uncommon spelling to begin with, it's (albeit begrudgingly) forgivable. However, if he totally butchered your name ("Kate" becoming "Caitlyn" or something cat-walked-on-the-keyboard awful), then you should perhaps look into it.

You (or rather, he) can definitely get away a missing letter in last name, though-- that is a mere typo.

User avatar
fashiongirl
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Yeah I was thinking that it could reflect poorly on the relationship. Could I have him send another one with the same cover sheet? Or will I have to add him as a recommender again?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Recommender/Teacher misspelled my name

Postby Samara » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:35 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Yeah I was thinking that it could reflect poorly on the relationship. Could I have him send another one with the same cover sheet? Or will I have to add him as a recommender again?

I really don't think it's a big enough deal to address.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests