Bad Circumstances & application ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
coobs

Bad Circumstances & application ?

Postby coobs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm in my 30's, w/ a 3.6 from past undergrad and 10 years of solid work experience...8 of which have been in the criminal justice system.
About 5 years, on a whim and no studying, I took the lsat to see how I would do. Also, the lsat came at a bad time with some pregnancy issues for my wife. Anyway, I Got a 140. No excuses. My bad for not thinking ahead.
(mind you I had no idea how this would affect things later in my application process and such - otherwise I wouldn't have taken it)

Then last year I took the lsat. I studied, but honestly didn't prepare like I needed to, mainly because there were complications with my wife's pregnancy and a lot of political turmoil at work, both of which really messed me up. Again, I got a horrible lsat score.

6 Months ago while working I had a very traumatic experience and got hurt at my job. One fortunate thing that came out of this was that I was able to study hard for the lsat for a solid 3 months. After taking it last week, I think I may have done well. I'm not positive and am realistic, but I do feel better about this test then some of my practice tests.

I'm not going for a sympathy vote or pity and make no excuses for my poor performances. I will say though it has been a trying time these past few years.

Question now is,
1. do I wait for my december score to come back, or do I just click submit on my apps that are ready to go?
2. if I do click submit now, only 1 out the 6 schools I'm applying to ask for a reason why my lsat scores might have changed significantly. Do I just submit an addendum now for that school hoping my score is much better or do I not submit addenda?

Thanks in advance.

apollo2015

Re: Bad Circumstances & application ?

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 pm

I am not sure if you should submit now or not. If you do submit now, don't add an addendum yet. If you end up doing significantly better on the December test, send the addendum in at that point. Until you know for sure what score you got, you should not speculate about it too much.

Best of luck either way.
Last edited by apollo2015 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Admissions decisions are greatly influenced by LSAT scores, and a few points of difference can drastically alter which schools will accept you and which are worth applying. Wait for your score before determining where to apply.

You've waited a long time. One more year won't hurt, if you end up having to wait until next fall to apply.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Admissions decisions are greatly influenced by LSAT scores, and a few points of difference can drastically alter which schools will accept you and which are worth applying. Wait for your score before determining where to apply.

You've waited a long time. One more year won't hurt, if you end up having to wait until next fall to apply.

+1 to this. Your old scores don't sound nearly as good as your most recent one felt to you. Wait for this LSAT to be released to apply.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:39 am

If you had so much going on, why didn't you postpone the test until things calmed down and you could study adequately?

coobs

Postby coobs » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:06 pm

coulda woulda shoulda. Just gotta take things from here man.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Wait until scores come back before you submit.

coobs

Postby coobs » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:22 pm

will do - thanks for the help everyone

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”