Yet another disclosure question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ap613

New

Yet another disclosure question

Post by ap613 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Ok I know people must be getting sick of these but I have a scenario I need help with. I graduated college in 2010 and believe that while I was there I got written up for drinking in dorms once and took some online class as punishment. I don't know exactly what it was categorized as: warning, violation, etc. I just called my Dean's office and asked for everything they had on my file because I wanted to accutately report it. They said that after a year most files are deleted/cleared unless their is a serious violation. They checked my file and said there was nothing on it and if they got a request for certification it would state that. Am I ok assuming it was not actually something I need to report?

Platinum

Re: Yet another disclosure question

Post by 071816 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:04 pm

I definitely wouldn't.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:39 pm

I reported an almost identical situation. Can't imagine any huge ramifications either way, but no one is going to care that you had a beer on campus a couple of years ago. I'd be safe and disclose.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:17 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Whatever helps you sleep at night.
This is pretty sound advice, believe it or not.

If your school has no record of it, then it was not a serious enough infraction to be documented and, as such, there is no actual physical evidence to work against you during C&F. However, if you really feel uncomfortable with not talking about it, then you can write a short 3-4 sentence addendum explaining both the violation and lack of documentation. So, really, it's your call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 pm

On the other end of the spectrum, I doubt they'd care. Not all drinking violations are = or indicate a similar level of irresponsibility. Yours just seems to indicate bad luck, but something I'm sure 99.9% of applicants did.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I graduated college in 2010 and believe that while I was there I got written up for drinking in dorms once and took some online class as punishment.

You believe...? You don't remember exactly what happened? The simple answer to your question is if any question on the application would in any way lead to that incident as a possible answer, you should include it. If none of the questions bring that incident to mind, then don't worry about it.

ap613

New

Post by ap613 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Mce252 wrote: You believe...? You don't remember exactly what happened? The simple answer to your question is if any question on the application would in any way lead to that incident as a possible answer, you should include it. If none of the questions bring that incident to mind, then don't worry about it.
Sorry for the confusion, believe wasn't referring to whether the incident happened or not, it was for the written up part because I don't remeber exactly what it was: write up, warning, violation, etc.

Thanks all for the adive, I think if there is a Q about academic discipline I'll include a short blurb about it and just not worry about it too much.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:09 pm

:|

teacher10456

New

Post by teacher10456 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Just so you know, I had almost the exact situation and there was nothing on my file but somehow when I applied for top-secret security clearance at the state department it did show up and they asked me about it... I am disclosing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”