Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby givemea170 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Maybe I got some bad advice, but I decided to retake to bump my score a few points possibly before submitting my applications because it seemed like December applications were fine... Some people here are saying I'm too late now and should wait for the next cycle... I don't really have that option... Do you guys think it is that huge of a disadvantage to apply in December?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 pm

givemea170 wrote:Maybe I got some bad advice, but I decided to retake to bump my score a few points possibly before submitting my applications because it seemed like December applications were fine... Some people here are saying I'm too late now and should wait for the next cycle... I don't really have that option... Do you guys think it is that huge of a disadvantage to apply in December?

Depends on your numbers and where you want to go...

If you're a splitter aiming for a reach, it's a bit late. If you're above both medians, you're fine.

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 pm

I got a 164 in december and had a 3.9 in UG. Applied the second I got my score and was waitlisted at Fordham PT (whose medians were 164/3.6ish). I was waitlisted still in June so I took the June LSAT and got a 168. I was then accepted with a few weeks to go until school started--no scholarships nothing.

In short, I think for true TTTs it doesn't matter. For relatively good schools, it does.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby givemea170 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 pm

JustE wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Maybe I got some bad advice, but I decided to retake to bump my score a few points possibly before submitting my applications because it seemed like December applications were fine... Some people here are saying I'm too late now and should wait for the next cycle... I don't really have that option... Do you guys think it is that huge of a disadvantage to apply in December?

Depends on your numbers and where you want to go...

If you're a splitter aiming for a reach, it's a bit late. If you're above both medians, you're fine.


169/2.93

Not really over reaching I don't think... Not applying to any top 14's, top choices include UIUC, George Mason and schools in that range. Was hoping my December re-take would be a 170+ making it likely I'll get into UIUC but I should have just applied early. Would have done that if I had better advice.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby givemea170 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:33 pm

I will say this, after reading this forum for a few days, I don't know as much as I thought I did. Reading this forum has made me paranoid. I guess I'll just submit all my applications and if I don't get what I want, I'll be more focused next cycle and not be as stupid.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 pm

givemea170 wrote:I will say this, after reading this forum for a few days, I don't know as much as I thought I did. Reading this forum has made me paranoid. I guess I'll just submit all my applications and if I don't get what I want, I'll be more focused next cycle and not be as stupid.


That could work. Where do you want to practice? You might have a shot at a few T14 schools if you ED. Maybe ED to Virginia or GULC?...

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby givemea170 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 pm

JustE wrote:
givemea170 wrote:I will say this, after reading this forum for a few days, I don't know as much as I thought I did. Reading this forum has made me paranoid. I guess I'll just submit all my applications and if I don't get what I want, I'll be more focused next cycle and not be as stupid.


That could work. Where do you want to practice? You might have a shot at a few T14 schools if you ED. Maybe ED to Virginia or GULC?...


Want to practice in the midwest. Just assumed I couldn't get into Northwestern with my low GPA.

I honestly wouldn't mind going to Depaul or Kent in Chicago but after reading this forum, everyone seems to think it is a waste of time/money unless it is free, and even then it is still a waste of time.

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby No13baby » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 pm

givemea170 wrote:
JustE wrote:
givemea170 wrote:I will say this, after reading this forum for a few days, I don't know as much as I thought I did. Reading this forum has made me paranoid. I guess I'll just submit all my applications and if I don't get what I want, I'll be more focused next cycle and not be as stupid.


That could work. Where do you want to practice? You might have a shot at a few T14 schools if you ED. Maybe ED to Virginia or GULC?...


Want to practice in the midwest. Just assumed I couldn't get into Northwestern with my low GPA.

I honestly wouldn't mind going to Depaul or Kent in Chicago but after reading this forum, everyone seems to think it is a waste of time/money unless it is free, and even then it is still a waste of time.

Northwestern is probably the least GPA-focused of all the T14. They're been known to dip below a 3.0 for a great LSAT score and solid work experience. If you want to go to NU, retake, get a 172 or so, work an interesting job for a couple years, and reapply then. Your GPA probably won't disqualify you.

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby STLMizzou » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 pm

givemea170 wrote:
JustE wrote:
givemea170 wrote:I will say this, after reading this forum for a few days, I don't know as much as I thought I did. Reading this forum has made me paranoid. I guess I'll just submit all my applications and if I don't get what I want, I'll be more focused next cycle and not be as stupid.


That could work. Where do you want to practice? You might have a shot at a few T14 schools if you ED. Maybe ED to Virginia or GULC?...


Want to practice in the midwest. Just assumed I couldn't get into Northwestern with my low GPA.

I honestly wouldn't mind going to Depaul or Kent in Chicago but after reading this forum, everyone seems to think it is a waste of time/money unless it is free, and even then it is still a waste of time.




I certainly hope it is not too late. I am applying with a major GPA of 3.2, but LSAC GPA of 2.98 (damn high school college credit...) and a 171 LSAT. I just submitted my app on December 5th. Granted, i have a year of legal work experience, but still. I say submit, worse they can do is say no.

Best of luck!!

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby Shammis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:56 pm

No. Applied in January and got into my target school...albeit after a lengthy wait. Earlier is better, but its def. not too late, especially if you have numbers the schools want.

User avatar
fashiongirl
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby fashiongirl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to submit my apps to schools when I get my December score around the first week of January. Since no one will be reviewing apps during Christmas/New Year's I figure it shouldn't be too bad if I apply the first week of January?

I'm definitely not getting my hopes up and I would be happy to go to a TT in my city. If I don't get in, the worst thing I can do is take the LSAT again in June and apply ED next cycle.

User avatar
ap613
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby ap613 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Completely anecdotal but just from looking at the schools I'm applying to on LSN last year vs this year it seems like most are moving a little slower in making decisions and issuing acceptances. I'm assuming this could be a result of the drop in test takers/less people applying. I'd bet a lot of schools are waiting a little longer this year to see what their applicant pool looks like before deciding whether they might have to drop their medians, etc. In this case I think the disadvantage would not be as big as usual. At least this is what I keep telling myself. My own observation, for what its worth.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Is December really too late to apply for this cycle?

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I think the main thing is whether or not you are going to have to rush any part of your app. I waited for my lsat score and kinda had to rush my "why X essays". I know of one instance of someone taking the year and not really doing anything to improve their application who did a lot better the second time around. The economy isn't as trash as it was this time last year so if you actually can get legitimate work experience it could be worth waiting until the very beginning of next cycle and EDing places etc.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chili_davis and 8 guests