HLS is looking for a new Admissions Dean.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justbubbles

HLS is looking for a new Admissions Dean.

Postby justbubbles » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Looks like KB is an 'acting' Admissions Dean, just as she was during the transition between TS and JR.

HLS is looking for a full-time Admissions Dean.

Anyone know if KB is an HLS JD grad? She's been @ HLS Admissions for over 10+ years! Apparently, HLS is only considering HLS JD grads with experience.

ahduth

Re: HLS is looking for a new Admissions Dean.

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:39 am

justbubbles wrote:Looks like KB is an 'acting' Admissions Dean, just as she was during the transition between TS and JR.

Anyone know if KB is an HLS JD grad? She's been @ HLS Admissions for over 10+ years! Apparently, HLS is only considering HLS JD grads with experience.

What happened to JR anyhow? I never heard anything about that (not that I really looked). Wasn't last year his first (and last year)?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:14 am

ahduth wrote:
justbubbles wrote:Looks like KB is an 'acting' Admissions Dean, just as she was during the transition between TS and JR.

What happened to JR anyhow? I never heard anything about that (not that I really looked). Wasn't last year his first (and last year)?

Principal at ghSMART, a management assessment and leadership development firm. Also serves on the board of Education Pioneers. http://www.educationpioneers.org/node/1001

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I can see why there's isn't much longevity when it comes to tenures. There could be a variety of reasons, but here's some as to why I think:

1. An ad comm head (ie - Asst. Dean of Admissions) position probably doesn't pay all that much (definitely not up to par or even close to what a tenured faculty member would make, even though the title has "Dean" in it). Let's face it - it's an operations and an administrative role.

2. Not much incentives when it comes to lateral-out or lateral-up movements. I can see ad comm deans moving to public sector for policy analysis work and stuff, but you pretty much get "street credz" only within the realms of academia and public sector. The private sector isn't too keen on bringing on academic administrators on-board.

3. It's gotta be a boring, tedious and nauseating job! I mean, seriously, who wants to read applicant PS' all day? At least HLS interviews potentials over the phone, but still, it's a pretty damn boring and uninteresting job.

4. Many other reasons as to why such a job wouldn't lead to any significant career advancements.

The last two ADs (TS and JR) stayed a very short time and prior to that the AD was a woman (her name escapes me), but she was at HLS for over 2 decades!

The only types that I see applying for this job are the types sole practitioner or small-firm types looking for a change. Or the type who'd want a relaxed job schedule with a significantly lower pay (eg - mom with a young infant looking for a 9-5ish kinda job, you get summers off, not required to stay in late, good work-like balance, etc).

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 am

but will she care about my parking tickets?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”