Grade Inflation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
darnelld
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Grade Inflation

Postby darnelld » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Does anyone have a sense of whether law schools take into account the grade inflation or grade deflation of undergrads? (i.e. do they look at a 3.7 the same way no matter what school it came from?)

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:14 pm

They see the median GPA of applicants registered on LSAC from your school so have a sense of how much grade inflation there is but in the end it's ~90% about your nominal GPA/LSAT score (the other 10% made up of work experience, extracurricular, non-URM diversity, etc). I'm fairly sure grade inflation is not one of the higher items on a law school AdComm's checklist.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 pm

it's not that important (less than UG institution, even)

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:49 pm

USNews doesn't weight incoming classes by effective GPA adjusted for inflation, so law schools could usually care less. Almost everyone I know at my UG has a better GPA than me, and I still got into a T30 with a below median GPA. I didn't have an awesome LSAT either.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Opie wrote:USNews doesn't weight incoming classes by effective GPA adjusted for inflation, so law schools could usually care less. Almost everyone I know at my UG has a better GPA than me, and I still got into a T30 with a below median GPA. I didn't have an awesome LSAT either.

this doesn't exactly support the statement

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Opie wrote:USNews doesn't weight incoming classes by effective GPA adjusted for inflation, so law schools could usually care less. Almost everyone I know at my UG has a better GPA than me, and I still got into a T30 with a below median GPA. I didn't have an awesome LSAT either.

this doesn't exactly support the statement


Sorry. What I meant was that everyone at my UG has a good GPA, so mine would lOok low in comparison. Iowa must not gave cared though because they let me in. Hopefully that makes more sense.

icpb
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby icpb » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:57 am

If the school is on the same level, then maybe. For instance, Brown under-performs based on GPA while Princeton and Dartmouth over-perform based on GPA.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby Dany » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm relatively sure adcomms do not just happen to know whether grade inflation/deflation goes on at random undergraduate schools, and even if they did know, they still won't care.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Dany wrote:I'm relatively sure adcomms do not just happen to know whether grade inflation/deflation goes on at random undergraduate schools, and even if they did know, they still won't care.

They can tell from your LSAC report but you're right that they don't care.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Grade Inflation

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 am

My joke school REALLLY REALLLY REALLLY shows on that LSAC report

(over half in the bottom 19 percentile, only 1 of 80 before me were in the 95 + percentile) / the high gpa for everyone... really hoping this doesn't hurt me lol




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Imago Loop, Lawschool305 and 8 guests