LORs for next cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yardbird

LORs for next cycle?

Postby Yardbird » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 am

I have three professors ready to write recommendations and 1 I'm waiting on starting an independent study with. Out of the four professors, I should have continued contact with three of them, but the one I probably won't have any more contact with has been a professor I've taken two classes with who loved having me in her classes. When I asked her she was really happy and agreed on the spot to write one. The problem is, I'm not applying until next year (5 year dual degree program) and I want her to write a recommendation while I'm still fresh in the mind. Is it too early to just have her send in the recommendation to LSAC? or will LSAC hold her recommendation on file through next year's cycle if I have her write it and send it in right after this semester? Thanks!

yuzu

Re: LORs for next cycle?

Postby yuzu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes, recommendations stick around for the life of your account. The only caveat is that you may want a targeted letter or special information for a particular school (e.g. Stanford used to ask recommenders to fill out a special form) and it might be a pain to go back in a year and ask for a new one.

Note that you generally need only two recommenders total.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks! This one is going to be a general recommendation, my other professors will be providing targeted ones as necessary

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Have all of your LOR's submit them now! It will be one less headache for you come application time next year--trust me! You will be so very glad that you did.

P.S. The letters stay on your LSAC account forever. You can always add new recommenders and LOR's if you want to down the road.

shadowofjazz wrote:I have three professors ready to write recommendations and 1 I'm waiting on starting an independent study with. Out of the four professors, I should have continued contact with three of them, but the one I probably won't have any more contact with has been a professor I've taken two classes with who loved having me in her classes. When I asked her she was really happy and agreed on the spot to write one. The problem is, I'm not applying until next year (5 year dual degree program) and I want her to write a recommendation while I'm still fresh in the mind. Is it too early to just have her send in the recommendation to LSAC? or will LSAC hold her recommendation on file through next year's cycle if I have her write it and send it in right after this semester? Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”