Question about underrepresented minority status

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Topgunfanboy

Question about underrepresented minority status

Postby Topgunfanboy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Are North Koreans considered underrepresented minorities? If so, what do I do since the LSAC profile lacks the choice of specifying North Korean ethnicity? By the way I am not trolling, I am really of North Korean descent, in that my grandfather was born in Northern Korea and escaped during the Korean War.

Grizz

Re: Question about underrepresented minority status

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Topgunfanboy wrote:Are North Koreans considered underrepresented minorities?

N. Koreans no, S. Koreans yes.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:05 pm

They don't break it down by specific countries. You would be considered of Asian descent, which are not at all underrepresented in either law school or the legal profession. But I'm sure you can write an interesting diversity statement, since I don't think they get too many North Korean applicants, and that could give you a slight edge.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Topgunfanboy wrote:Are North Koreans considered underrepresented minorities? If so, what do I do since the LSAC profile lacks the choice of specifying North Korean ethnicity? By the way I am not trolling, I am really of North Korean descent, in that my grandfather was born in Northern Korea and escaped during the Korean War.

No, they are not. This doesn't mean that you can't write a DS and the diversity you could add is irrelevant, it just means you're not a URM.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:07 pm

only if u managed to escape by raft...they already have too many tunnel escapers so if u escaped by tunnel then that doesnt count as a urm

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:19 pm

thederangedwang wrote:only if u managed to escape by raft...they already have too many tunnel escapers so if u escaped by tunnel then that doesnt count as a urm

lexdiamonds

Postby lexdiamonds » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:30 am

No, Asians are not considered under-represented minorities.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”