Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsdropout
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby lsdropout » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm talking about clinical severe depression. I tried it and failed. I was attending a very good school, but I couldn't concentrate nearly enough to succeed. Also, cold-calling is horrible for someone with severe social anxiety. In college, there are resources to get by, it's not the same in law school. Just a word of warning.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12800
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby LeDique » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 pm

What resources did you have in college that you don't have in law school?

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby BeenDidThat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I was under the impression that trying to achieve anything while severely clinically depressed is a horrible idea if there's the opportunity to try to achieve it while not severely clinically depressed.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:51 pm

It is extremely hard to achieve anything while suffering from clinical depression. I was under the impression that all law schools connected to regular universities offered the same services (counseling, mental health, etc.) to law students.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby sunynp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 pm

So OP what are you doing about your situation? I think you need to try to take a leave of absence or talk to your dean.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:10 pm

sunynp wrote:So OP what are you doing about your situation? I think you need to try to take a leave of absence or talk to your dean.

based on his username, I have a feeling he dropped out

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby crossarmant » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm suffering from some serious clinical depression and I'm in LS. It's difficult, but I've never let it impact my academics. I think it's really a balance. Some days it'd be overwhelming and I'd have to just hide in my room; you can get your work done, but you don't talk to people. It's intriguing.

All in all, you can do alright with depression in law school, but you have to want to do well despite the otherwise crippling depression and social anxiety.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby Opie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 pm

crossarmant wrote:I'm suffering from some serious clinical depression and I'm in LS. It's difficult, but I've never let it impact my academics. I think it's really a balance. Some days it'd be overwhelming and I'd have to just hide in my room; you can get your work done, but you don't talk to people. It's intriguing.

All in all, you can do alright with depression in law school, but you have to want to do well despite the otherwise crippling depression and social anxiety.


I dated a girl who failed out of undergrad due to her anxiety. I think one serious problem is that a person may miss some classes due to the depression, lethargy, etc. When the person is ready to return, the anxiety kicks in and the person worries about what others will think about them missing class. This causes them to miss more class which makes them depressed because they are failing. It then becomes even harder to go back to class.

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby Michaela » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:23 pm

crossarmant wrote:I
All in all, you can do alright with depression in law school, but you have to want to do well despite the otherwise crippling depression and social anxiety.


That's great that you're able to do that, but I suspect many "want to do well" but can't because of their crippling depression.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3887
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:29 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:I was under the impression that trying to achieve anything while severely clinically depressed is a horrible idea if there's the opportunity to try to achieve it while not severely clinically depressed.


had to lol at that.

Seriously though, good luck OP. And would you mind me asking what you're doing or planning on doing?

User avatar
cynthia rose
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby cynthia rose » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:14 am

Opie wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I'm suffering from some serious clinical depression and I'm in LS. It's difficult, but I've never let it impact my academics. I think it's really a balance. Some days it'd be overwhelming and I'd have to just hide in my room; you can get your work done, but you don't talk to people. It's intriguing.

All in all, you can do alright with depression in law school, but you have to want to do well despite the otherwise crippling depression and social anxiety.


I dated a girl who failed out of undergrad due to her anxiety. I think one serious problem is that a person may miss some classes due to the depression, lethargy, etc. When the person is ready to return, the anxiety kicks in and the person worries about what others will think about them missing class. This causes them to miss more class which makes them depressed because they are failing. It then becomes even harder to go back to class.

Yep. It's a vicious cycle. And I can see why cold-calling would freak one out. That and OCI are the two things I least look forward to.

But I'm also curious as to what resources were available to OP in undergrad that he/she didn't have available in law school. If OP is on medication and/or has a therapist there's no reason that should change in law school, right? Well, if you go to a law school in a new area you have to find a new therapist/psychiatrist and maybe OP didn't do that for certain reasons.

Every person is different though...for some maybe law school + their level of depression and anxiety will ultimately prove to be too overwhelming, but for others they will want it badly enough that they'll force themselves to work through it. I had a nervous breakdown two days before the LSAT but I knew I couldn't go in that Saturday and self-destruct so I forced myself to pull it together...I imagine law school is pretty much going to be like that, only it will be 3 years of intermittently breaking down and pulling it together instead of one week. NBD *shrugs* I guess I have a different perspective though b/c my situation is the inverse of OP's (no resources in college/didn't realize what was wrong with me vs. figuring it out years after graduation and learning how to properly cope without letting my performance in any given area suffer). Not saying I'm going to go in and absolutely crush competition, just that if I do fail at anything I'm not going to let depression be the reason.

CaptAdams
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Attending Law School while depressed is a horrible idea

Postby CaptAdams » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:04 pm

I have severe depression and panic and anxiety disorder (my brain hates me). For a long time, I was unable to work and undergrad looked impossible. But I'm a non-traditional student, with great insurance and some money in the bank. So while it was expensive, living, working and going to school with a severe mental illness is totally possible. You need good doctors (plural) and a good support system.

OP, hang in there. You can do it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BobBoblaw and 1 guest