Not quite sure what to do...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glo19
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Not quite sure what to do...

Postby glo19 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Not quite sure if I should cancel my score from yesterdays exam, but I feel like I guessed through most of it. I want to be able to apply for Fall 12' admissions and know that if I wait until the Feb exam I put myself at a disadvantage. If I cancel my score and retake it in Feb it will force me to have an incomplete application and possibly not even being considered. However, if I keep my score and it is really low, I risk the same problem. My question is what would be worse? Should I cancel my score, retake in Feb and risk my application being incomplete until the Feb scores come in, or do I accept my score (regardless of how low it may be) so that I can submit my application and still take the Feb test?
There were valid extenuating circumstances (my son was hit by a vehicle 2 days prior, it was a hit and run and he was injured) and while I should have withdrawn from the exam, I feared not being able to apply for the upcoming school year. However, I still don't know what I should do. Anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

I prob should mention that my GPA is 3.8 and my number one choice is Arizona State University.

User avatar
danielhay11
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby danielhay11 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:28 pm

glo19 wrote:Not quite sure if I should cancel my score from yesterdays exam, but I feel like I guessed through most of it. I want to be able to apply for Fall 12' admissions and know that if I wait until the Feb exam I put myself at a disadvantage. If I cancel my score and retake it in Feb it will force me to have an incomplete application and possibly not even being considered. However, if I keep my score and it is really low, I risk the same problem. My question is what would be worse? Should I cancel my score, retake in Feb and risk my application being incomplete until the Feb scores come in, or do I accept my score (regardless of how low it may be) so that I can submit my application and still take the Feb test?
There were valid extenuating circumstances (my son was hit by a vehicle 2 days prior, it was a hit and run and he was injured) and while I should have withdrawn from the exam, I feared not being able to apply for the upcoming school year. However, I still don't know what I should do. Anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

I prob should mention that my GPA is 3.8 and my number one choice is Arizona State University.


First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope your son is doing well and recovers quickly.

To answer your question, I would argue against canceling your score for a few reasons.

IMO, it's incredibly difficult to predict your performance on a given test. With all the stress and pressure, you're likely to be too hard on yourself. If you cancel, you'll never know how you did. And, since schools are only required to report the highest LSAT scores of their applicants now, the effect of multiple scores is marginalized, especially considering the extenuating circumstances in your particular situation.

Additionally, with your outstanding GPA, you probably only need an LSAT score in the mid/high 150s to get into ASU. If you score high enough on the Dec. LSAT, you're golden; if you don't score high enough, you can write an addendum explaining your circumstances and ask that your application be held until you take the February administration (assuming ASU takes the Feb. LSAT). This would put you at a disadvantage, but it's the same position you'd be in if you cancelled now.

Good luck!

glo19
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby glo19 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Thank you for the advice and thank you for your concern. My son is home and will be okay, he just can't do much walking around for a couple of weeks. I was thinking that was what I should do, but I needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks again.

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:45 pm

First, I am so sorry to hear what happened.

Second, I will put this as directly as possible (and as a parent).

Cancel and stop thinking about applying for 2012 admission.

December was already late to be taking the LSAT.

If you have children, you owe it to them to put yourself in the best position possible to get into a school that maximizes your employment chances with a financial package that minimizes the cost of attendance. Honestly, that ship has already sailed.

Even if you did well on the December exam, which to be frank, it is unlikely that you maximized your score given all that was going on, you were already in the position of facing reduced financial assistance compared to if you had been able to complete your application already.

Give yourself and your family the best possible chance to make this work. Your score can literally be worth six figures to you. Don't throw that kind of money away.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I very rarely tell people to cancel, because the whole thing is to subjective for an outsider to judge. However, I fell that in your case, a cancellation is the correct move.

glo19
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby glo19 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:03 pm

TooOld4This wrote:First, I am so sorry to hear what happened.

Second, I will put this as directly as possible (and as a parent).

Cancel and stop thinking about applying for 2012 admission.

December was already late to be taking the LSAT.

If you have children, you owe it to them to put yourself in the best position possible to get into a school that maximizes your employment chances with a financial package that minimizes the cost of attendance. Honestly, that ship has already sailed.

Even if you did well on the December exam, which to be frank, it is unlikely that you maximized your score given all that was going on, you were already in the position of facing reduced financial assistance compared to if you had been able to complete your application already.

Give yourself and your family the best possible chance to make this work. Your score can literally be worth six figures to you. Don't throw that kind of money away.
I had considered waiting for next year, but I'm applying for a dual degree and I have to apply and be accepted to both schools at the same time. I may just have to deal with it and wait a year. My goal was to be done with school before my children begin college, considering that's five tuitions I will be paying for and that's only a couple of years away. :|

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 pm

glo19 wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:First, I am so sorry to hear what happened.

Second, I will put this as directly as possible (and as a parent).

Cancel and stop thinking about applying for 2012 admission.

December was already late to be taking the LSAT.

If you have children, you owe it to them to put yourself in the best position possible to get into a school that maximizes your employment chances with a financial package that minimizes the cost of attendance. Honestly, that ship has already sailed.

Even if you did well on the December exam, which to be frank, it is unlikely that you maximized your score given all that was going on, you were already in the position of facing reduced financial assistance compared to if you had been able to complete your application already.

Give yourself and your family the best possible chance to make this work. Your score can literally be worth six figures to you. Don't throw that kind of money away.
I had considered waiting for next year, but I'm applying for a dual degree and I have to apply and be accepted to both schools at the same time. I may just have to deal with it and wait a year. My goal was to be done with school before my children begin college, considering that's five tuitions I will be paying for and that's only a couple of years away. :|


Actually, from a financial aid perspective, it is much better (or at least it used to be) for as many of you to be in school as possible at the same time. You may find that there are significant advantages to waiting.

Also, I know this is unsolicited advice, but 99 times out of 100 a dual JD degree is an insane waste of time and/or money. If you don't want to be a practicing attorney, don't go through the process of getting the JD. If you do want to practice, the other degree is going to be waste in just about any scenario you can spin.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 pm

glo19 wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:First, I am so sorry to hear what happened.

Second, I will put this as directly as possible (and as a parent).

Cancel and stop thinking about applying for 2012 admission.

December was already late to be taking the LSAT.

If you have children, you owe it to them to put yourself in the best position possible to get into a school that maximizes your employment chances with a financial package that minimizes the cost of attendance. Honestly, that ship has already sailed.

Even if you did well on the December exam, which to be frank, it is unlikely that you maximized your score given all that was going on, you were already in the position of facing reduced financial assistance compared to if you had been able to complete your application already.

Give yourself and your family the best possible chance to make this work. Your score can literally be worth six figures to you. Don't throw that kind of money away.
I had considered waiting for next year, but I'm applying for a dual degree and I have to apply and be accepted to both schools at the same time. I may just have to deal with it and wait a year. My goal was to be done with school before my children begin college, considering that's five tuitions I will be paying for and that's only a couple of years away. :|


I never understood why someone would get a dual degree unless they are a masochist. I agree with the above poster on not getting a dual degree.
Also, You are way too hot to have kids nearing college age. Do you want to makeout?
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby Betharl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:50 pm

I am not sure that you should cancel. It is my understanding schools don't really care about multiple LSAT scores. Do you really need to cancel to allow yourself 3 more attempts or would 2 more suffice? Is that extra attempt worth forgoing the possibility that you scored well on an administration that would still allow you to apply for schools in this cycle?

Also, this:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:You are way to hot to have kids nearing college age.

User avatar
danielhay11
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby danielhay11 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 am

TooOld4This wrote:Second, I will put this as directly as possible (and as a parent).

Cancel and stop thinking about applying for 2012 admission.

December was already late to be taking the LSAT.

If you have children, you owe it to them to put yourself in the best position possible to get into a school that maximizes your employment chances with a financial package that minimizes the cost of attendance. Honestly, that ship has already sailed.


I would agree that it is suboptimal to be applying with a Dec LSAT score, much less a Feb score. But the OP has identified a top-choice school that, given her strong GPA, should be an easy admit with even a decent LSAT score.

Also, applying this year does not mean she cannot apply again next year. If she gets into ASU with her Dec. and/or Feb. score and can begin law school in the fall, great. If it's too late to get an admit, or if the financial aid package is not enough, then she can still wait a year and be in the same position had she canceled.

Anyways, that's just my $0.02. In the end, the most important factors are the ones only you know: how important it is to attend in 2012; how below your potential you feel you scored; how much you are willing to risk a low LSAT score even with a strong addendum; and how much FinAid is necessary to make LS financially viable for your family.

User avatar
BiglawOrBust
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby BiglawOrBust » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Also, You are way too hot to have kids nearing college age. Do you want to makeout?


Whoa...is that a selftar? Boing!

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Not quite sure what to do...

Postby 071816 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Also, You are way too hot to have kids nearing college age. Do you want to makeout?


LOL




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LAW1995, PossumFiesta and 8 guests