Should I apply now or next year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RamblinBoyofPleasure

Should I apply now or next year?

Postby RamblinBoyofPleasure » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Long story short, assembling the materials has taken longer than I had planned. Most of my apps can be complete sometime this week, except for one letter of rec that LSAC hasn't received yet (I've prodded the professor, and last I heard he said he was going to send it this week).

My question is: is it worth it to apply this late in the cycle? Right now I am thinking that I will just apply now and if I'm not happy with the results, defer for a year and apply again to a couple of schools next cycle. But is that feasible? Highly unethical?

Edit: My numbers are 3.51/171, and I graduated last spring and have a job right now.

rinkrat19

Re: Should I apply now or next year?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:24 pm

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:Long story short, assembling the materials has taken longer than I had planned. Most of my apps can be complete sometime this week, except for one letter of rec that LSAC hasn't received yet (I've prodded the professor, and last I heard he said he was going to send it this week).

My question is: is it worth it to apply this late in the cycle? Right now I am thinking that I will just apply now and if I'm not happy with the results, defer for a year and apply again to a couple of schools next cycle. But is that feasible? Highly unethical?

Edit: My numbers are 3.51/171, and I graduated last spring and have a job right now.

A deferral may be binding, meaning once you committed, you couldn't apply again to other schools. (I deferred, but actually have no idea whether mine is binding. But I wasn't planning on doing any more applying so it didn't matter.)

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:33 pm

I would apply now. Before Christmas and December score release isn't early, of course, but there will be hordes of people applying after you, so it's more or less on time. If you have fee waivers, a lot of them are only good for one cycle. And, if you find a job you like in the interim, then you can defer. If you don't like any of the places you get into, do not defer; just reapply next year. It's really not a big deal, but this cycle seems like it's going to be more lax than those in the past, and that's not guaranteed for next year as well, so see what you can snag.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:33 pm

Just apply now. If you don't like what happens, withdraw from everywhere and reapply in September next cycle.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:43 pm

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:Long story short, assembling the materials has taken longer than I had planned. Most of my apps can be complete sometime this week, except for one letter of rec that LSAC hasn't received yet (I've prodded the professor, and last I heard he said he was going to send it this week).

If you accept a spot somewhere, defer, and apply elsewhere it'd be highly unethical. If discovered, you'd basically lose your shot at any decent law school, and possibly have C&F issues.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”