Send without LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lhalpern
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Send without LOR?

Postby lhalpern » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:52 pm

My applications are set and ready to go - trouble is 2 of my 3 LORs haven't been received by LSAC yet (I have confirmation that both have been sent however)

Question: Should I go ahead and submit my apps today?
Will LSAC automatically forward the other 2 letters as they come in?

New at this so thanks for any advice

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Send without LOR?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:19 pm

lhalpern wrote:My applications are set and ready to go - trouble is 2 of my 3 LORs haven't been received by LSAC yet (I have confirmation that both have been sent however)

Question: Should I go ahead and submit my apps today?
Will LSAC automatically forward the other 2 letters as they come in?

New at this so thanks for any advice

You have to assign your LORs to the schools you apply on the LSAC website. They won't automatically forward the letters.

I would submit the apps to schools that only require 1 LOR now and submit the rest of the apps as soon as the second LOR is processed on LSAC.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Send without LOR?

Postby leche » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:43 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
lhalpern wrote:My applications are set and ready to go - trouble is 2 of my 3 LORs haven't been received by LSAC yet (I have confirmation that both have been sent however)

Question: Should I go ahead and submit my apps today?
Will LSAC automatically forward the other 2 letters as they come in?

New at this so thanks for any advice

You have to assign your LORs to the schools you apply on the LSAC website. They won't automatically forward the letters.

I would submit the apps to schools that only require 1 LOR now and submit the rest of the apps as soon as the second LOR is processed on LSAC.


But you can assign letters even if they haven't been received/processed yet. I'm currently waiting on one letter, but I've assigned it to all my schools anyway. I was under the impression that the schools requiring 2 letters would get the second one automatically forwarded when it came in, whereas you would have to notify the other schools that another letter is on its way. (Then there are some, like Berkeley, who explicitly state that they won't accept any more letters after the application has been sent in.) Although I'm having a moment of doubt and can't bring myself to pull the trigger and pay yet.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Send without LOR?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:47 pm

leche wrote:But you can assign letters even if they haven't been received/processed yet. I'm currently waiting on one letter, but I've assigned it to all my schools anyway. I was under the impression that the schools requiring 2 letters would get the second one automatically forwarded when it came in, whereas you would have to notify the other schools that another letter is on its way. (Then there are some, like Berkeley, who explicitly state that they won't accept any more letters after the application has been sent in.) Although I'm having a moment of doubt and can't bring myself to pull the trigger and pay yet.

I'll defer to your judgment on this since I wasn't in the same situation. However, I think TCR is to call LSAC and ask.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Send without LOR?

Postby leche » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:59 pm

On LSAC's FAQ:

"Can I transmit my law school application even though all of my letters of recommendation, evaluations, or transcripts have not been received by LSAC?

Yes, you can transmit the application before all parts of your LSAC Law School Report have been received at LSAC. The law school will request a report when it receives your application. The law schools can either choose to receive the parts of the law school report as they arrive at LSAC or they can request that LSAC hold onto the law school report until it is complete. This also means that those schools do not want the application until the report is complete."

Not quite sure what that means for all of my schools though. Guess some emails are in order.

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Send without LOR?

Postby STLMizzou » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 pm

I was having trouble submitting my applications too, which I assumed was due to waiting on HS college credit transcript to be received by LSAC. However, just got a letter in that I assigned to all my schools and now I can apply even while I am still waiting for my application to be finalized with the HS transcript.


As far as I can tell, you must have the required number of evals/rec letters on record to submit, and can edit/ add more as they come in...

Good luck!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lawl_Schoolz, packerboy31489, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests