What is considered a "good" story?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jbc7
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby jbc7 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 am

wuts goin' onnnn in diz threadz

dolphin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby dolphin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:42 pm

le sigh...

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby 89vision » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
89vision wrote:What's your deal? Bitter because you didn't get into Penn? You are overreacting, big time. Sorry if you actually do have a mental health issue, because that level of anger is not normal. You made plenty of angry comments, and assumptions. Assumptions that are wrong. Own up to them, sweetie.

Bipolar disorder is UNDER diagnosed. Another incorrect assumption.

Geeze, you really over react. It's funny you called Nieztsche mainstream but look at your SN. You use a mainstream saying by a mainstream thinker. You are extremely hypocritical, and ignorant as well. I actually feel bad for you.


I overreact? Funny. I'm not the one who has to edit my post 4 times to make sure I get all of my whiny complaints heard. All of your fucking posts are TL;DR, but for a dude who spends an absurd amount of time talking about what scripts he takes for his mental health issues, you sure do love acting a pot and calling the kettle black. Look at this thread. I'm not the only one pointing out, using direct quotes from you, why you're so blatantly wrong about basically every argument you've made

Totes bitter I didn't get in to Pen. Being part of Pen '15 would have given me so much joy through the years, so many puns to be made. It really is too bad I have to settle for a peer school with money. I don't know how I'll sleep at night. I could have had so much more... I could have had Case Western.

You do realize that Descartes didn't speak English, so he wasn't exactly the one to coin "putting the cart before the horse" and certainly not the one to coin the pun "putting Descartes before the horse", right? You know what, forget it. If you were too moronic to even sign up for a general philosophy class, it's not worth the effort to mock you.


What does editing posts have to do with this? Nothing. It's not relevant. How many posts have I listed what "scripts" I'm taking? 1. And don't you think it's a bit stalker esque to go through all my posts? Is that normal? Is that how a reasonable person responds to remark that wasn't directed at them? No.

Why do you feel the need to stalk my posts? I guess that's all you can do when you get called out on your assumptions and can't admit you're wrong.

You seriously don't think the post you just made is a blatant overreaction to an internet post and has petty personal attacks? And did you notice that you attacked the character of the person instead of the argument? Or made straw man's? Congrats, honey. Well, you can have the last word. I'm done with this. There was no need to start an argument. And don't pretend you're not emotional or angry or flustered. I think so much more of you as a person for everything you posted, and for going through my posts to try and hurt my feelings. You are right. There you go. Bye.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Novellas:

The death of Ivan Ilyich - Tolstoy

The Blue Hotel - Stephen Crane

The metamorphosis - Kafka

My Mortal Enemy - Cather

Sonny's Blues - Baldwin

A Solo Song: For Doc

No One Writes to the Colonel - Marquez

Supernatural:

The Yellow Wallpaper

The Sandman - ETA Hoffman

Cthulhu - Lovecraft

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

Classics:

The Brothers Karamazov

Mostly everything by Dostoevsky, really.

Tolstoy's good.

Most people have a love-hate thing going on with James Joyce. He does have a novella called "The Dead".

Everything by Dickens.

Etc etc. In the end it's just a matter of taste. I can't remember some of the best stories I've read. Also, the writers at Vanity Magazine are amazing. Get a subscription, it's like 20 bucks for two years or something.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Also, the writers at Vanity Magazine are amazing. Get a subscription, it's like 20 bucks for two years or something.

Vanity fair? or are you talking about another magazine?

Because as a guy, I think I'd get a lot of shit from my roommates (although I'd probably deserve it) if I started subscribing to Vanity Fair.

dolphin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby dolphin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Novellas:

The death of Ivan Ilyich - Tolstoy

The Blue Hotel - Stephen Crane

The metamorphosis - Kafka

My Mortal Enemy - Cather

Sonny's Blues - Baldwin

A Solo Song: For Doc

No One Writes to the Colonel - Marquez

Supernatural:

The Yellow Wallpaper

The Sandman - ETA Hoffman

Cthulhu - Lovecraft

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

Classics:

The Brothers Karamazov

Mostly everything by Dostoevsky, really.

Tolstoy's good.

Most people have a love-hate thing going on with James Joyce. He does have a novella called "The Dead".

Everything by Dickens.

Etc etc. In the end it's just a matter of taste. I can't remember some of the best stories I've read. Also, the writers at Vanity Magazine are amazing. Get a subscription, it's like 20 bucks for two years or something.


thank you for this.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

If you like well-crafted obituaries, you should read the obituary of Edgar Allen Poe by Rufus Griswold. New York Tribune, 1849.

Additionally, poems are good. I personally like Richard Cory by Edwin Arlington Robinson. I think it's applicable to Biglaw:

"Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean-favoured and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good Morning!" and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich, yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine -- we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread,
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet in his head"

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:31 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Also, the writers at Vanity Magazine are amazing. Get a subscription, it's like 20 bucks for two years or something.

Vanity fair? or are you talking about another magazine?

Because as a guy, I think I'd get a lot of shit from my roommates (although I'd probably deserve it) if I started subscribing to Vanity Fair.


I know. Most people dismiss it. I used to. Trust me, they're good from a purely literary standpoint. Skip the pictorials.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:If you like well-crafted obituaries, you should read the obituary of Edgar Allen Poe by Rufus Griswold. New York Tribune, 1849.

Additionally, poems are good. I personally like Richard Cory by Edwin Arlington Robinson. I think it's applicable to Biglaw:

"Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean-favoured and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good Morning!" and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich, yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine -- we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread,
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet in his head"

Wow, didn't see that last line coming.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Lastly, all the novellas I mentioned above and many more can be found in a single compilation called "Classics of Modern Fiction" by Irving Howe.

ISBN: 9780155001718

It's like a dollar plus shipping (used, very good copy) on half.com

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:20 am

Got an amazing PM from 89 in my box today.

Message subject: x
From: 89vision
Sent at: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 pm
To: descartesb4thehorse
Message

http://cwru-daily.com/news/?p=4550


Clicked through to find an amazing article titled "Survey says: CWRU students some of the smartest in the land"
I have no comment.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot], zeglo and 4 guests