What is considered a "good" story?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:04 am

89vision wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:
89vision wrote:Albert Camus

Eh, seriously? :x I can't really understand your tastes. I hated L'Etranger...although his Myth of Sisyphus was actually pretty interesting.


Camus-

I love The Plague. A lot of it is philosophical, but novel-esque. I like the mix. To each his own though.

I've got to say, though, his works are more bearable in english :P The translators (whoever they are) do well in dropping his overbearing style

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby 89vision » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:10 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Let's stop you right there for a brief synopsis for our viewers at home. Thread title: "what is considered a good story?" Joke of the thread: good stories are unheard of in law school PSs, let's talk about actual good stories. We have fun with that for a bit, some heavyhanded Russian names are bandied about. You necro the thread to try to throw your big bags of mainstream philosophy into the mix. I point out that you miss the point of the thread, you ad hom something about my social life in retaliation. My social failings are pretty obvious to anyone who has posted more than twice in the lounge, so you could have at least put some effort into it. Kind of like this:


89vision wrote:
northside wrote: Your life in college must look completely different from everyone you know. You can't go to study groups. You can't listen to your iPod while studying. You have to sit in the front. You only take notes by hand. You write EVERY due date down, twice. You schedule the library like it's a job and find a nook in the back and never tell anyone you know where it is. You go to office hours all the time. You have to annotate everything you read which means you print every PDF, and highlight every book. It's expensive. It's time consuming. Its not as fun as going to bars, but it's what you have to do to get to where you want to be.



Story of my undergrad. Nearly verbatim.


Sorry you have some over-diagnosed disease found only in the first world, but when you freely admit your proclivity for dark corners of your undergrad library, think two ticks before lecturing anyone on their social life.

Oh yea, and get that reading comp up to speed if you're ever gonna get an LSAT that'll get you outside of Pitt range.


Haha, really? Are you having PMS or something?

When did I say I had ADD? You better get that reading comp up! I'm bipolar, which is a "real" disease. Again, making a false assumption. That's been posted several times, as anyone who has checked these forums would know. Next time do a little research. Congrats on being a hypocrite.

When did I "lecture" any on their social life? The post was on a Sunday night. I don't think you're out on this site on a smart phone at a bar. I made a comment that you were getting starting an argument that didn't need to happen. Then you make a post that further exemplifies those characteristics.

Also you are making several false assumptions. "Nearly verbatim" does not equate to "verbatim." I bet I go out more than you. Stop making incorrect assumptions. I never said I stayed in all the time, or that anything cut into my social life.

You assume I have ADD, which you don't think is a "real" condition (which is extremely ignorant), then you assume I don't go out because I said a recollection of undergrad described my experience "nearly verbatim." And then you make a catty remark about my LSAT skills? Laughable.

Grow up.
Last edited by 89vision on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby 89vision » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:12 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
89vision wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:
89vision wrote:Albert Camus

Eh, seriously? :x I can't really understand your tastes. I hated L'Etranger...although his Myth of Sisyphus was actually pretty interesting.


Camus-

I love The Plague. A lot of it is philosophical, but novel-esque. I like the mix. To each his own though.

I've got to say, though, his works are more bearable in english :P The translators (whoever they are) do well in dropping his overbearing style


I am not bilingual, and only have read his stuff in English. I'll take your word for it though.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 pm

89vision wrote:Haha, really? Are you having PMS or something?

When did I say I had ADD? You better get that reading comp up! I'm bipolar, which is a "real" disease. Again, making a false assumption. That's been posted several times, as anyone who has checked these forums would know. Next time do a little research. Congrats on being a hypocrite.

When did I "lecture" any on their social life? The post was on a Sunday night. I don't think you're out on this site on a smart phone at a bar. I made a comment that you were getting starting an argument that didn't need to happen. Then you make a post that further exemplifies those characteristics.

Also you are making several false assumptions. "Nearly verbatim" does not equate to "verbatim." I bet I go out more than you. Stop making incorrect assumptions. I never said I stayed in all the time, or that anything cut into my social life.

You assume I have ADD, which you don't think is a "real" condition (which is extremely ignorant), then you assume I don't go out because I said a recollection of undergrad described my experience "nearly verbatim." And then you make a catty remark about my LSAT skills? Laughable.

Grow up.

Edited 4 times in total.


Sorry I got to you so much, chief. Hope there's somewhere in the world for another misogynistic, overly-diagnosed, wannabe intellectual. Actually, Pitt Law seems just the place for you.

Edited 0 times in total.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 am

89vision wrote:You better get that reading comp up! I'm bipolar, which is a "real" disease.

Grow up.

Oh sweet jeebus.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 am

paratactical wrote:
89vision wrote:You better get that reading comp up! I'm bipolar, which is a "real" disease.

Grow up.

Oh sweet jeebus.

lol. I had a similar reaction to:

89vision wrote:I bet I go out more than you. Stop making incorrect assumptions. I never said I stayed in all the time, or that anything cut into my social life.

Grow up.

#winning.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:13 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:lol. I had a similar reaction to:

89vision wrote:I bet I go out more than you. Stop making incorrect assumptions. I never said I stayed in all the time, or that anything cut into my social life.

Grow up.

#winning.

Oh, he's pretty lulz.


89vision wrote:I've bet I've gone out more than most people on here, but it gets so old after soph year. Honestly, as an upperclassmen, do you have fun at the same old house parties filled with stupid, drunken freshmen girls, at least one of whom is puking drunk, and feeling way too old for that scene? Seeing the drunken freshmen make poor decisions? Or the standard bar crawls to the same strip of bars with the same crowd every weekend? It's the same old shit, and it's boring. The classes aren't challenging after soph year, assuming you tested out and started taking upperlevel courses freshmen and soph year. Undergrad is an easy time, no responsibilities, tons of freedom, but it gets repetitive. A lot of people don't mind it, but I typically get sick of things quickly. I have ADD and things get old really quickly. Just offering a different perspective. If you enjoy the same stuff you did freshmen and soph year, good for you. Stay 4 years and waste that extra money you could instead use to backpack through Europe (which is why I am graduating early. I think that's a far better use of my time than undergrad).



89vision wrote:
paratactical wrote:89vision I bet you're a real blast to spend time with.


My friends seem to think so, considering we go out at least 4 nights a week (drink specials start with $1 Magic Hats and Great Lakes Monday). God forbid I don't think undergrad is best thing ever. It's not. Yes, it's fun, but most people want to grow up and move on. The drinking, drugging, partying, cycle gets old. It's as repetitive as Jersey Shore episodes.

I don't understand why getting bored of undergrad is any indication of whether people enjoy hanging out with me. I don't understand how you can make that assumption, especially when I stated many people love undergrad, and that's fine. My college friends are all ready to move on, get out, and graduate. My friends who never went to college are ready to do something different. That's life. I would hate to be around people who were okay doing the same damn thing all the damn time. Too vanilla for me, but if you like routines, good for you. Do what makes you happy, but don't demean others because they don't agree with your idea of fun/happy/etc; It's kind of sad you need to make a petty comment because someone has a different perspective.


EDIT to add:

89vision wrote:When did I say I had ADD?


89vision wrote:I have ADD and things get old really quickly.
Last edited by paratactical on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby quiver » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

This thread took several turns and I like it.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 am

Para, it sounds like we're both sad individuals. Would you like to hang out sometime and wallow in our mutual partying/drinking/drugging/ "vanilla" scene?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:06 am

89vision wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:Let's stop you right there for a brief synopsis for our viewers at home. Thread title: "what is considered a good story?" Joke of the thread: good stories are unheard of in law school PSs, let's talk about actual good stories. We have fun with that for a bit, some heavyhanded Russian names are bandied about. You necro the thread to try to throw your big bags of mainstream philosophy into the mix. I point out that you miss the point of the thread, you ad hom something about my social life in retaliation. My social failings are pretty obvious to anyone who has posted more than twice in the lounge, so you could have at least put some effort into it. Kind of like this:


89vision wrote:
northside wrote: Your life in college must look completely different from everyone you know. You can't go to study groups. You can't listen to your iPod while studying. You have to sit in the front. You only take notes by hand. You write EVERY due date down, twice. You schedule the library like it's a job and find a nook in the back and never tell anyone you know where it is. You go to office hours all the time. You have to annotate everything you read which means you print every PDF, and highlight every book. It's expensive. It's time consuming. Its not as fun as going to bars, but it's what you have to do to get to where you want to be.



Story of my undergrad. Nearly verbatim.


Sorry you have some over-diagnosed disease found only in the first world, but when you freely admit your proclivity for dark corners of your undergrad library, think two ticks before lecturing anyone on their social life.

Oh yea, and get that reading comp up to speed if you're ever gonna get an LSAT that'll get you outside of Pitt range.


Haha, really? Are you having PMS or something?

When did I say I had ADD? You better get that reading comp up! I'm bipolar, which is a "real" disease. Again, making a false assumption. That's been posted several times, as anyone who has checked these forums would know. Next time do a little research. Congrats on being a hypocrite.

When did I "lecture" any on their social life? The post was on a Sunday night. I don't think you're out on this site on a smart phone at a bar. I made a comment that you were getting starting an argument that didn't need to happen. Then you make a post that further exemplifies those characteristics.

Also you are making several false assumptions. "Nearly verbatim" does not equate to "verbatim." I bet I go out more than you. Stop making incorrect assumptions. I never said I stayed in all the time, or that anything cut into my social life.

You assume I have ADD, which you don't think is a "real" condition (which is extremely ignorant), then you assume I don't go out because I said a recollection of undergrad described my experience "nearly verbatim." And then you make a catty remark about my LSAT skills? Laughable.

Grow up.


You go for a low blow sexist opener and then tell her to grow up?

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 am

quiver wrote:This thread took several turns and I like it.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am

if you cant define it, you dont have one

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:57 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:if you cant define it, you dont have one

It may be hard to define, but I know it when I see it.

User avatar
BiglawOrBust
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:58 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:if you cant define it, you dont have one

It may be hard to define, but I know it when I see it.


YES

Image

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby 89vision » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
89vision wrote:

Edited 4 times in total.


Sorry I got to you so much, chief. Hope there's somewhere in the world for another misogynistic, overly-diagnosed, wannabe intellectual. Actually, Pitt Law seems just the place for you.

Edited 0 times in total.


What's your deal? Bitter because you didn't get into Penn? You are overreacting, big time. Sorry if you actually do have a mental health issue, because that level of anger is not normal. You made plenty of angry comments, and assumptions. Assumptions that are wrong. Own up to them, sweetie.

Bipolar disorder is UNDER diagnosed. Another incorrect assumption.

Geeze, you really over react. It's funny you called Nieztsche mainstream but look at your SN. You use a mainstream saying by a mainstream thinker. You are extremely hypocritical, and ignorant as well. I actually feel bad for you.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby paratactical » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:10 am

89vision wrote:
What's your deal? Bitter because you didn't get into Penn? You are overreacting, big time. Sorry if you actually do have a mental health issue, because that level of anger is not normal. You made plenty of angry comments, and assumptions. Assumptions that are wrong. Own up to them, sweetie.

Bipolar disorder is UNDER diagnosed. Another incorrect assumption.

Geeze, you really over react. It's funny you called Nieztsche mainstream but look at your SN. You use a mainstream saying by a mainstream thinker. You are extremely hypocritical, and ignorant as well. I actually feel bad for you.

ADD is over diagnosed and you have also reported that you have that disorder as well.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 am

89vision wrote:What's your deal? Bitter because you didn't get into Penn? You are overreacting, big time. Sorry if you actually do have a mental health issue, because that level of anger is not normal. You made plenty of angry comments, and assumptions. Assumptions that are wrong. Own up to them, sweetie.

Bipolar disorder is UNDER diagnosed. Another incorrect assumption.

Geeze, you really over react. It's funny you called Nieztsche mainstream but look at your SN. You use a mainstream saying by a mainstream thinker. You are extremely hypocritical, and ignorant as well. I actually feel bad for you.


I overreact? Funny. I'm not the one who has to edit my post 4 times to make sure I get all of my whiny complaints heard. All of your fucking posts are TL;DR, but for a dude who spends an absurd amount of time talking about what scripts he takes for his mental health issues, you sure do love acting a pot and calling the kettle black. Look at this thread. I'm not the only one pointing out, using direct quotes from you, why you're so blatantly wrong about basically every argument you've made

Totes bitter I didn't get in to Pen. Being part of Pen '15 would have given me so much joy through the years, so many puns to be made. It really is too bad I have to settle for a peer school with money. I don't know how I'll sleep at night. I could have had so much more... I could have had Case Western.

You do realize that Descartes didn't speak English, so he wasn't exactly the one to coin "putting the cart before the horse" and certainly not the one to coin the pun "putting Descartes before the horse", right? You know what, forget it. If you were too moronic to even sign up for a general philosophy class, it's not worth the effort to mock you.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Totes bitter I didn't get in to Pen. Being part of Pen '15 would have given me so much joy through the years, so many puns to be made.

:shock: , should have ED'd to Penn. Eff. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
kerflux
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby kerflux » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Would we saaaay Nietzsche wrote stories?

How rude of you to point out that his contribution to the thread is not entirely relevant. I can completely understand his exponentially disproportionate anger and the ensuing personal attacks. If this were not enough, your use of 3 extra "a"s is inflammatory and entirely unwarranted.
5 points from Gryffindor.

OP, I think if you're applying to reaches, the "good" story becomes increasingly important as you're basically asking them to consider you on factors other than numbers. I could be wrong, but I think it's all in the delivery. You could have the material for a fantastic story, but if it's not put together well, the effectiveness is hampered. If you don't really have a shot at the school, I don't see what the harm is in trying to present your story in an entertaining, less traditional fashion - I'm not saying to write it all in iambic pentameter, but they're human, and they like shiny things, so oblige them and capture their interest.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:17 am

TBH, this thread has turned out to be a pretty cool story, bro.

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:36 pm

89vision is my idea of what the gunners at bad schools must be like.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:43 pm

i just wanna be part of this thread

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 pm

thederangedwang wrote:i just wanna be part of this thread

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby paratactical » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Nobody wrote:89vision is my idea of what the gunners at bad schools must be like.

He reminds me of the nerdeist biglaw associate I've ever met. Guy ended up being the pin cushion for the whole lit department. His life was pretty miserable and he had curly red hair.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: What is considered a "good" story?

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:05 pm

paratactical wrote:
Nobody wrote:89vision is my idea of what the gunners at bad schools must be like.

He reminds me of the nerdeist biglaw associate I've ever met. Guy ended up being the pin cushion for the whole lit department. His life was pretty miserable and he had curly red hair.


saddest part.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: geoffreym and 9 guests