Traffic violations - just to be clear

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby leche » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:55 pm

TLS has established that disclosing all info is the best route. Four and a half years ago, I got a speeding ticket. I think I was going 16 mph over on a highway, but I can't remember any specifics and just paid the fine. I don't think the points are even on my driving record anymore, but I'm not certain.

"Have you ever been under investigation for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any crime, including misdemeanors, petty offenses, ordinance violations, or any traffic violation, including those involving alcohol, controlled substances, injury, or death?" - This is a question on an application. Do I need to add an attachment for this?

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby SoPro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Just do it.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby leche » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Well the problem is the app also says "please state the full particulars, including the facts, charge, date, and disposition including any fines, court costs, or other penalities, in an electronic attachment." I don't even know how to access that information.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 pm

SoPro wrote:Just do it.


Yeah. No one, and I mean no one, will care if you were going 81 in a 65 when you were in high school. They might care, though, if they get the sense that you were trying to cover it up.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:00 pm

leche wrote:Well the problem is the app also says "please state the full particulars, including the facts, charge, date, and disposition including any fines, court costs, or other penalities, in an electronic attachment." I don't even know how to access that information.


Write what you know, and say that you can't recall or find all the exact details because it was such a long time ago.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:05 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
leche wrote:Well the problem is the app also says "please state the full particulars, including the facts, charge, date, and disposition including any fines, court costs, or other penalities, in an electronic attachment." I don't even know how to access that information.


Write what you know, and say that you can't recall or find all the exact details because it was such a long time ago.


This. They clearly ask for traffic violations.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby leche » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Currently uploading the short and pointless addendum.

User avatar
Lily Pad
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby Lily Pad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I had the exact same thing - parking ticket from about 7 years ago that has long been wiped from my record. I just gave them the season/year and a guess at the month of the ticket, and that seemed to be enough in that circumstance.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby leche » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Wait, do PARKING tickets count too? Because I have a couple of those, and they are more recent, but they're all paid.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby charliep » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:45 pm

your avatar is magnificent

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby STLMizzou » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 pm

You can go to your state's DMV and get a full copy of your driving record, all charges, dates, etc. It costs about 20 bucks. Wake forest asks about stuff like that on their app. They are a saftey school so i am putting off getting it until the holidays when i am back in my home states.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:58 pm

I was under the impression that parking tickets do NOT count, although I imagine it varies from school to school.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:04 pm

STLMizzou wrote:You can go to your state's DMV and get a full copy of your driving record, all charges, dates, etc. It costs about 20 bucks. Wake forest asks about stuff like that on their app. They are a saftey school so i am putting off getting it until the holidays when i am back in my home states.
Not always. In Oregon I was only able to get a record of the last 5 years from the DMV. The courthouse might have had better records available, but I never had to go that far.

clarified_butter
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby clarified_butter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Do you want a clear answer? Call the school. Each school is different...some want you to disclose this and others do not.

leche wrote:TLS has established that disclosing all info is the best route. Four and a half years ago, I got a speeding ticket. I think I was going 16 mph over on a highway, but I can't remember any specifics and just paid the fine. I don't think the points are even on my driving record anymore, but I'm not certain.

"Have you ever been under investigation for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any crime, including misdemeanors, petty offenses, ordinance violations, or any traffic violation, including those involving alcohol, controlled substances, injury, or death?" - This is a question on an application. Do I need to add an attachment for this?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby ilovesf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:40 pm

In the state where I got my speeding ticket, all speeding tickets are misdemeanors. I e-mailed every school I was applying to and asked them if I should disclose it. Some said yes, some said no. It takes like 5 minutes to e-mail the schools, and 5 minutes to write a 3 sentence addendum. What's the problem?

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby hadisious » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:58 pm

You should be able to get a 10 year driving record from your DMV for something like $8. This is what I did for my applications and the speeding tickets from years and years ago I could not remember. The entire process was online, I got a pdf of my record. Better safe than sorry!

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby dresden doll » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Note: C and F isn't going to reject you even if you don't disclose because they don't give a shit about parking violations.

User avatar
BeerMaker
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby BeerMaker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:22 pm

This has to be the dumbest topic ever. Who gives a fuck about tickets. Law schools can fuck off if they care. I'd rather not go to some shit hole school than disclose a pointless ticket. Can you tell I'm annoyed?

User avatar
Larry David
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Traffic violations - just to be clear

Postby Larry David » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 pm

leche wrote:Wait, do PARKING tickets count too? Because I have a couple of those, and they are more recent, but they're all paid.


Also some schools ask for everything including parking tickets but if the car is titled in your parents name and the license plate is in your parents name then they are not your tickets they will show up as your parents tickets... Specifically in states like the one I reside where you can add a child as a driver on your policy but the child is not registered as the primary driver of the vehicle.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], checkcheckgo and 2 guests