On the future of law practice from an 80 y/o Partner: Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Silver

On the future of law practice from an 80 y/o Partner:

Post by MTal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Reposting from jdunderground:

--LinkRemoved--
While I technically work for a solo, he's a solo because the prior firm of 4 partners dissolved a couple years ago. The partners still own the building and still operate basically the same way as they once did. So although I get paid by one guy, I do still do work for other lawyers/partners at my firm. Last night around 5:30 one of the senior partners comes into my office and sits down in front of me.

He's 80 and has been practicing for 55 years. He is very wealthy but in typical old school style he doesn't show it. He also likes to give me "advice" on both practice and life in general. Last night he came in and started lamenting how much harder it is to be a lawyer now then when he first came up through the ranks. He tells me how at one time lawyers were truly respected and being an attorney was indeed a noble well paid profession. He says back in the day you would never hear of a client bitching out his lawyer, or not paying just to spite him. Judges and counsel were always respectful to each other. Business was far easier to come by.

He says the way things are he's glad he is retired and only dabbling now. He told me that he can see me being a success, as I'm a "worker" and I'm "bright" but that I should really question whether to stick in this biz or not. He said, that even if you really, really love it, it's becoming far to stressful and economically unrewarding to keep at it. He said he went to a CLE the other day and when he found out what law schools are charging for tuition, the old bird said he almost fainted.

This my friends is coming from a veteran and something of a legend in the area. Sure, it's shitlaw, but this guy has made money....hundreds trials with favorable outcomes, he is as successful as you get in shitlaw....and he's saying bail.

Scary !

No13baby

Bronze

Re: On the future of law practice from an 80 y/o Partner:

Post by No13baby » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Oh, you.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Old person; DR.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 pm

That old guy is like my dad, insisting that you can still get a quality pair of shoes for $20, because that's what he paid in like 1984. Except this guy is 80 and even further out of touch.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: Except this guy is 80 and even further out of touch.
Except that...you know...he's a practicing attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Sounds like an old person talking about how much better things were in the glory days... As someone who has an education degree, this sounds word for word like how all old teachers talk lol

Anyways, headcases like you just hurt the message of being cautious about ls tbh

ihhwap1

Bronze

Post by ihhwap1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Keep in mind that this man is in the same age demographic as the attorneys that happily advise people to go to their local TTT, whereupon the advisee stumbles into TLS and goes full retard at the suggestion that the advice they got was about as out of date as betamax.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:18 pm

An 80 year old man bitching about prices today, no respect now, how horrible times are, what's wrong with today, etc... AMAZING

One thing I respected the hell out of my 92 year old grandfather was he never once talked like that / could see all the improvements in his life, I hope I can be like that one day

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Maybe... he just got old? 80 year old people think everything has gone down the tube. Don't you watch fox news?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:20 pm

No13baby wrote:Oh, you.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:21 pm

MTal is the village idiot. Is there any way the mods could give him a title under his name reflecting such?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:MTal is the village idiot. Is there any way the mods could give him a title under his name reflecting such?
Yes I'm the idiot....except that I have a job with benefits and am not hundreds of thousands in debt with no employment prospects. But yes you are right, I am the "idiot".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 pm

TBH though, if this guy has been practicing for 55 years, he got his JD in what: 1955 or 1956?

If someone doesn't know how much higher education put you ahead in the 50's compared to today, then they are a fucking moron

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:41 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:TBH though, if this guy has been practicing for 55 years, he got his JD in what: 1955 or 1956?

If someone doesn't know how much higher education put you ahead in the 50's compared to today, then they are a fucking moron

I don't understand how this is relevant.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 pm

MTal wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:MTal is the village idiot. Is there any way the mods could give him a title under his name reflecting such?
Yes I'm the idiot....except that I have a job with benefits and am not hundreds of thousands in debt with no employment prospects. But yes you are right, I am the "idiot".
"Idiot" can be a flexible word. There's nothing preventing the term from applying to multiple groups of people.

ETA: Old retired partner is saying that shitlaw is probably not a good idea anymore. ZOMG THIS IS BREAKING NEWS!!!!
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:50 pm

frankly i think if people who went to law schools even TEN years ago saw what schools charge in tuition nowadays, they'd probably faint, too.

the dude may be old, but he's not entirely off-base. the profession just isn't as respected as it used to be. though, i'd argue most traditionally well-heeled professions aren't as respected today as they used to be, with the possible exception of doctors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:56 pm

MTal wrote:Reposting from jdunderground:

--LinkRemoved--
He told me that he can see me being a success, as I'm a "worker" and I'm "bright"
Finally some good news from MTal!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Mce252 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:TBH though, if this guy has been practicing for 55 years, he got his JD in what: 1955 or 1956?

I don't understand how this is relevant.
How is it not?

The OP posted something about a guy who graduated in 1955 saying how much harder it is for a JD than it was back in his day... I think that should be common sense, since going to college was quite rare then

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:40 pm

No13baby wrote:Oh, you.
MTal, why do you do this? Whatever job you have sounds wonderful - not because of the benefits or your lack of debt, but because we can reasonably assume that your job requires you to do nothing aside from posting on TLS.

We all appreciate your advocacy for alternative ideas here, but I'm just dying to hear your motive.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:42 pm

MTal wrote:
Your persistence in telling the same story even though no one cares what you think, when combined with your obliviousness of that fact, reminds me of Forrest Gump. I think we can agree that he was an idiot in the movie, and I'm glad you admit your idiocy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:08 pm

tl;dr version: some old guy, as they are wont to do, blandly reminisces about how much better things were back in the day, glossing over all the negatives and artificially inflating all the positives.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:tl;dr version: some old guy, as they are wont to do, blandly reminisces about how much better things were back in the day, glossing over all the negatives and artificially inflating all the positives.
Yeah, but he's not exactly wrong in this case. He lacks perspective on the industry as a whole, but there is no question that the investment has gotten substantially worse since his day.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:tl;dr version: some old guy, as they are wont to do, blandly reminisces about how much better things were back in the day, glossing over all the negatives and artificially inflating all the positives.
Yeah, but he's not exactly wrong in this case. He lacks perspective on the industry as a whole, but there is no question that the investment has gotten substantially worse since his day.
So you just want to sit around and recite bland, oversimplified aphorisms?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
So you just want to sit around and recite bland, oversimplified aphorisms?
Uhh... no?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”