Majoring in Engineering, as an undergrad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cj_stripe

Majoring in Engineering, as an undergrad?

Postby cj_stripe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Is majoring in engineering a good idea if you plan to go to Law School? I am freshman in Engineering at Iowa State and my GPA is ~3.4. Is this bad, good, ugly?

Any comments would be appreciated.

mrtoren

Re: Majoring in Engineering, as an undergrad?

Postby mrtoren » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 pm

cj_stripe wrote:Is majoring in engineering a good idea if you plan to go to Law School? I am freshman in Engineering at Iowa State and my GPA is ~3.4. Is this bad, good, ugly?

If you want to work in IP law, its definitely good. If you want to do anything else, it doesn't really matter. You've got another two years or so until you have to worry about it. If you like engineering, stay in it. If you can get higher grades in another major that interests you, switch over. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy college. Don't plan so far ahead...these are the years when you get to have fun.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:56 pm

mrtoren wrote:
cj_stripe wrote:Is majoring in engineering a good idea if you plan to go to Law School? I am freshman in Engineering at Iowa State and my GPA is ~3.4. Is this bad, good, ugly?

If you want to work in IP law, its definitely good. If you want to do anything else, it doesn't really matter. You've got another two years or so until you have to worry about it. If you like engineering, stay in it. If you can get higher grades in another major that interests you, switch over. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy college. Don't plan so far ahead...these are the years when you get to have fun.

+1

Also, engineering gives you an option in case you don't decide to do law. Plus ISU has a great engineering program.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm

That comma in the title is really bothering me

/pedant

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm

This thread depresses me.

OP: go have fun (at least as much fun as you can have as an engineering major) and enjoy college. If you want to be an engineering major, by all means, do it. If something else strikes your fancy, go do that. Come back in a few years to talk about lawl school.

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:07 pm

IMO staying in engineering will hurt your admissions a bit chances if your GPA remains lowish, assuming the engineering school has tougher grading than other schools at your college. But it will open up other options, in terms of both the practice of law (patent) and other career opportunities.

Work hard and get the best grades you can in engineering. You can think about law school later.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I majored in engineering my first year. After getting horrible grades in calculus and chemistry and KNOWING I wanted to go to law school, I changed my major to business after my first year and my GPA shot up. If you are certain you will get good grades in engineering, it would of course be great since it shows it was a difficult major. If you could get better grades in a different major that interests you and you are certain on going to law school, I would switch as soon as possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”