Please help! Prof sent me the LOR through e-mail....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gg09

Please help! Prof sent me the LOR through e-mail....

Postby gg09 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi forum! Nice to meet you all!

Here's the deal: one of my recommenders just e-mailed me. I opened up the email and there was the letter, asking me what I thought of it.

I thought I made it clear that I couldn't see it as I gave him the WAIVER form.

To complicate things further, the letter is a bit too over the top. Either way, it needs editing at this point.

Do you think it would be inappropriate to ask another professor to help him edit it or something? Suggest that they meet since they're both giving me LORS?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. At the very least, I know I can't have him submit this particular letter as I've seen it. This is the last thing I need as I take the LSAT in a few days and am majorly stressed as it is!

Thanks!

annyong

Re: Please help! Prof sent me the LOR through e-mail....

Postby annyong » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:37 pm

I may be wrong about this, and someone please correct me if I am, but signing the waiver means you waive your right to go look it up on file at the school or demand to see it, etc., it doesn't mean you can't see it if offered - the professor is asking for your approval, I would let him know politely what you think of it, but if you're uncomfortable with that just let him know and say you would prefer if he sent it directly to LSAC. I think it would be a pretty laborious task to meet with another professor and discuss it, its not like they need to compare notes or anything.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes, you are waiving your right to see it, not your ability to see it. You just don't have a right to see it if they won't show it to you, or to look it up after they've sent it.

I would reply with your thoughts and let it be.

Why is it too over the top? I'm sure law schools have seen it all in terms of LORs, I mean how can someone endorse you too enthusiastically?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:44 pm

The waiver does not prevent you from reading the recommendation letter if it is given to you by the writer, but it does prevent you from being able to obtain it from the intended recipient school.

gg09

Postby gg09 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Ahhhh...ok thank you SO MUCH for your help! I feel so much better now. This is my first LOR that has been completed thus far in this admissions process, so I guess it is a good learning experience!

Luckily, I do know this professor very well. I am just going to e-mail him back and ask to meet with him tomorrow during office hours.

Thanks again - MAJOR stress relief!

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm

There is no such thing as a LOR being over the top (unless it's over the top to the point where it's actually sarcastic, ie x applicant is undoubtedly the smartest person in the world, etc). Also, under absolutely NO circumstances should you ask him to compare notes/get help from another professor, that would be incredibly insulting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”