How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dawak1

How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby Dawak1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Applying next cycle is NOT an option. I graduated in May and need roughly a month to fix 3 incomplete grades that are still on my transcript, all of which will be explained via addendum. The earliest I can send out my applications and have them 100% completed is Jan 10-15. I cant send them out until the incomplete grades have been resolved.

My GPA will be a 3.65-3.70 and my LSAT score will hopefully be a 166-171. I am taking it on sat. and my average of 22 preptest (over the past 2 weeks) is 169. So ASSUMING that GPA and that LSAT, is mid Jan simply too late to apply to Fordham, Georgetown, Berkley and Cornell? Am I screwed? I've always read that applying as early as possible is the best but my circumstances simply haven't allowed for it. Can I still have a shot (given a good score this Saturday) at Georgetown or Fordham even with a late app?

Sincerely appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Larry David

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Dawak1 wrote:Applying next cycle is NOT an option. I graduated in May and need roughly a month to fix 3 incomplete grades that are still on my transcript, all of which will be explained via addendum. The earliest I can send out my applications and have them 100% completed is Jan 10-15. I cant send them out until the incomplete grades have been resolved.

My GPA will be a 3.65-3.70 and my LSAT score will hopefully be a 166-171. I am taking it on sat. and my average of 22 preptest (over the past 2 weeks) is 169. So ASSUMING that GPA and that LSAT, is mid Jan simply too late to apply to Fordham, Georgetown, Berkley and Cornell? Am I screwed? I've always read that applying as early as possible is the best but my circumstances simply haven't allowed for it. Can I still have a shot (given a good score this Saturday) at Georgetown or Fordham even with a late app?

What does that mean like replaced with Ws?? I would advise looking at law school numbers rather than ask a group of over confident pompous asses about applying late who will likely tell you what they pull out of their ass.

Dawak1

Postby Dawak1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Larry David wrote:
Dawak1 wrote:Applying next cycle is NOT an option. I graduated in May and need roughly a month to fix 3 incomplete grades that are still on my transcript, all of which will be explained via addendum. The earliest I can send out my applications and have them 100% completed is Jan 10-15. I cant send them out until the incomplete grades have been resolved.

What does that mean like replaced with Ws?? I would advise looking at law school numbers rather than ask a group of over confident pompous asses about applying late who will likely tell you what they pull out of their ass.

No the I's will be replaced with A's and B's on my transcript, not W's. And ive looked at LSN, but the site doesnt take into account how late in the cycle you apply :/ doesnt it get way more competitive at the top schools later in the cycle as there are less spots to fill? This is what im really concerned about, how much it will affect my chances given how late my app will be....

(thanks for the reply)

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Dawak1 wrote:
Larry David wrote:

No the I's will be replaced with A's and B's on my transcript, not W's. And ive looked at LSN, but the site doesnt take into account how late in the cycle you apply :/ doesnt it get way more competitive at the top schools later in the cycle as there are less spots to fill? This is what im really concerned about, how much it will affect my chances given how late my app will be....

(thanks for the reply)

If you cannot deter it from LSN then 99% of people on here are not going to really know what the hell they are talking about if they answer your question honestly unless they are adcoms at the schools you mentioned.... but I am sure one will feed you some of their verbal diarrhea...

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Larry David wrote:
Dawak1 wrote:
Larry David wrote:

(thanks for the reply)

If you cannot deter it from LSN then 99% of people on here are not going to really know what the hell they are talking about if they answer your question honestly unless they are adcoms at the schools you mentioned.... but I am sure one will feed you some of their verbal diarrhea...

real helpful advice, buddy...and i think you meant "infer." good try though. that's a tough one.

OP, the conventional wisdom is that applying later in the cycle does it make it more difficult, but if you can get your app in by early January, i don't think you will be at a terrible disadvantage. I think it would affect your scholarship chances more than anything else, as there is only a finite amount of money a school can give out each year so once it's all distributed that's it, for the most part. i would probably apply to more safety schools, though.

of course, this is really all moot until you actually get a real LSAT score.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 pm

Larry David wrote:I would advise looking at law school numbers rather than ask a group of over confident pompous asses about applying late who will likely tell you what they pull out of their ass.

I would like to take offense to this, but I am le tired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 am

Actually you can look at when each applicant applied on LSN, it's just that it will be a bit time consuming b/c you have to click each dot to open that person's profile, so you'll have to draw your own inferences rather than relying on a quick look at a graph to show you your odds. And you have to hope each person actually entered in the time the applications went complete (or at least the sent and/or received dates so you can get some kind of idea of when they applied). Most of them do, but some don't.

Genki

Postby Genki » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:34 am

I applied a couple years ago and ended up deciding to postpone law school (applying again this cycle). When I applied before I didn't submit my apps until January 5-15. I received a few more waitlists than expected for my numbers, but still got acceptances from several T14 schools. So while it may hurt you some to apply later, it certainly isn't too late to apply in the middle of January. Just apply as soon as you can and hope for the best.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 am

I've heard more than one admissions deans say that January 15 is the date when it becomes significantly thougher. I don't think any of them were from those specific schools though. If your numbers end up 3.7/171 I think you still have a really solid shot at Cornell and Fordham. The others maybe not as much.

I know you don't want to hear it, but honestly if you get a 171, you really should delay a year. With an ED application and a possible retake you could be looking at a much better school or a significant amount of money. I don't know your reasons for not delaying, but for many people it's just that they can't stand to wait any longer. This is a really bad reason.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:28 am

Meh. The admissions games that we play on these forums really seem to apply more to the margins.

Will applying late hurt you? Not necessarily. It is true that it could, but if you apply to a place where your numbers are competitive, then your numbers are competitive. I might be concerned about the scholarship amounts, but even then I question the significant impact. 171/3.65 should get you a good school if you apply somewhat soon after Christmas. Looking at LSN, a lot of people get accepted with money despite completing only around Christmas. A few more waitlists, but altogether acceptances are still available.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”