Apply with 1 letter of rec/ wait for 2nd/ or ask my boss?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MellowMantis

Apply with 1 letter of rec/ wait for 2nd/ or ask my boss?

Postby MellowMantis » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:46 pm

I am ready to apply other than my pending LSAT and waiting on one letter of rec. The letter I have is from a professor who knows me very well (independent study, regular courses too) and the other I'm waiting for is also from a professor who knows me well but takes a long time in responding to my emails and may not have it in soon enough. I am considering asking my boss to write me one for schools that require two although I am underemployed and my job is not exactly one that is very impressive or hard to do. However, I have been there for over a year. Maybe I'm looking to much into it, but despite this second professor having written a letter for me previously im starting to think maybe he is procrastinating intentionally, (first asked in september for a letter by the end of november) Thoughts?

cmd06

Re: Apply with 1 letter of rec/ wait for 2nd/ or ask my boss?

Postby cmd06 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm

I too hope for answer to the OP's question.

I already have one LOR from an old boss, but my professor now needs an additional month to send his LOR to LSAC (another week for them to process it...). I'll be complete by Jan 15th it seems :(

Should I just ask my current employer to write me a LOR and have my app complete, and add the 3rd LOR from my professor whenever he gets around to it?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm

At this point, I wouldn't stall for a LOR unless you're talking just a week or so. A mediocre 2nd letter is better than having to wait till after Dec.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:54 pm

I just got an email from my professor saying he would submit by this weekend and since I am taking the LSAT this saturday I should have the letter processed before I even get my score back so I am not actually going to have to ask my boss. But for the poster who expressed the same concern, perhaps it is best for you to have him write you the letter and have it on file just in case you need to apply to some schools early. Unless you would be uncomfortable with your employer knowing you are applying which shouldn't be an issue for most jobs I would assume.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:49 pm

I would ask your professor if he/she has gotten around to writing the LOR, its possible it just slipped his mind.

If you are still in school, a professor's LOR is better than one from an employer. Many schools specifically state that they are looking for info on your classroom performance and you should only submit LORs from employers if you have been out of school for a while

You should still apply now, but for the schools that required 2 LORs, you app won't be considered completed until the last one is in. If your professor is going to submit it soon, you might as well apply now to have the hard stuff out of the way.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Similar question from me, I already have 3 letters of recommendation in (1 from professor, one from school administrator I worked with, and one from Congressman whose campaign I worked on).

For one of my schools, a person closely affiliated with the school (alum, still actively involved in their law school, guests speaks regularly there) is writing me a letter of recommendation, but it won’t be in the LSAC system for at least a couple weeks. Should I submit my app now? If I do, will it be considered incomplete until that last letter arrives or is it simply a bonus because the school only requires 2?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm

1. Yes apply and wait on others LOR. They probably won't start reviewing until a few weeks after you submit, so you have time to get the last LORs in.

2. Be careful, because many schools warn against having "token" recommenders. If the congressman or the alum of that schools doesn't know you very well personally, its going to be clear in the letter. Additionally, from what I've seen, schools are looking for information on how you perform in an academic setting, so I would recommend getting one more LOR from a professor, and adding the LORs from the administrator, congressman, or alumnus, for the schools that allow you to submit more than 2

STLMizzou wrote:Similar question from me, I already have 3 letters of recommendation in (1 from professor, one from school administrator I worked with, and one from Congressman whose campaign I worked on).

For one of my schools, a person closely affiliated with the school (alum, still actively involved in their law school, guests speaks regularly there) is writing me a letter of recommendation, but it won’t be in the LSAC system for at least a couple weeks. Should I submit my app now? If I do, will it be considered incomplete until that last letter arrives or is it simply a bonus because the school only requires 2?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”