UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:29 am

North wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:Because I'm like 12 points off their 25th percentiles and because I don't like to have expectations only to be crushed down.
You are a URM with a 3.9 GPA. With a little luck and a thoughtful application, UCLA or USC might bite. You look pretty good at Davis if you submit quickly. Please, send them applications while it's still early-ish in the cycle.

Really, just do it. It's worth the money for the chance that they'll bite. Disappointment is a lot easier to deal with than a lifetime of the what-if game.


That's true. Thank you North. I will definitely apply. One of the professors I worked for works at Davis currently, you think a reccommendation from him will help? or just not over do it? He really loved me but he's a little... how can I say this respectfully.. wack job.. My lsat might disappoint him . Worth a try however. What do you think?

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 am

Worker and Parasite wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:UC Berkeley (expecting a nice rejection letter lol)

Your GPA kills it and UCB is big into GPA and little into LSAT. I think the Dean wrote a post regarding their dismay of the LSAT and how they didn't like how one test would be an indicator of success. I wouldn't look at simply medians, check the graphs on LSN for their trends.

I'm the reverse, low GPA/decent-ish LSAT but I applied to all of the UC's and selections from T35 and up.

I don't want to give you false hope but your chances at Boalt aren't laughable. Best of luck!



Thank you worker and parasite I hope UCB works out for both of us! I'm being positive but staying prepared for a rejection as well. Keep me updated :) Btw I'm throwing my application in at UCLA, UCdavis and USC. Keep our finger crossed. Thanks again and goodluck

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:35 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:UC Berkeley (expecting a nice rejection letter lol)


The lowest LSAT I saw on TLS Stats was a 163. Not to be a buzzkill or anything lol, but I think OP has more reasonably assessed his odds.

Best of luck to you.


Haha excatly thats why I said I was expecting a nice rejection letter. But I was also told UCB is BIG on softs and GPA, so it was worth a shot. UCB is an odd ball, you never know.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:45 am

picklebarrel wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:
picklebarrel wrote:I would also apply to USC and UCLA. USC is expensive, but pretty generous with scholarships (with no stipulations). You have a shot at both schools.


I'm a 1L who should be studying, but I definitely outperformed my numbers last year. I had a 3.9/160 and I'm not a URM, so I don't think you should let the 25th percentiles get to you. Your GPA is really good and some schools may be looking for higher GPAs.


Dear Picklebarrel, since you are a current law student, tell me does the LSAT help in school at all? Does Constitutional law, torts, legal writing, legal research, contracts require you to do LOGIC Games? Please enlighten me. The LSAT makes me feel like I'm good for nothing, made me constantly doubt my abilities even with a 3.9 in a hard science.

Thank you for your advice. I will apply to other UC schools. Good Luck Studying :)

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:That's true. Thank you North. I will definitely apply. One of the professors I worked for works at Davis currently, you think a reccommendation from him will help? or just not over do it? He really loved me but he's a little... how can I say this respectfully.. wack job.. My lsat might disappoint him . Worth a try however. What do you think?


If it will be a good letter of recommendation, definitely go for it. I am sure that law schools are used to seeing letters of rec that have too much "personality". At the very least, this would give you an excuse to say hi to your former professor. Its a good idea to keep social bonds strong in case you need anything else from him later on. (And of course in the distant future once you are established in a law job, you could help hook one of his future students up with an internship. Everybody wins.)

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm a 1L at Hastings, you'll get in. They generally prefer high GPAs for admittance, like most UCs. That being said, you can definitely get into better schools and I'd apply to more if I were you, and retake. Anyway, I'll be happy to help if you have any questions about UCH.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorg

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:00 pm

ilovesf wrote:I'm a 1L at Hastings, you'll get in. They generally prefer high GPAs for admittance, like most UCs. That being said, you can definitely get into better schools and I'd apply to more if I were you, and retake. Anyway, I'll be happy to help if you have any questions about UCH.


Omg thank you for replying ! I was looking for a current UCH student. Here's my deal, I'm an immigrant I came to the US 5 years ago from a village, dint know English, was tutored for a few months, struggled though senior year graduated at16, started college I graduated college at 19. my UG institution was top 10 for hard sciences and I majored in biology, I worked all through college. I am currently working at a law firm, my boss is amazing, I actually do almost all drafting and legal research under supervision. I am also gonna end up at the court or at the DA's office this summer. Stellar LORs, gpa, MINORITY, I don't think I'm a URM I'm southeast Asian. Lol.. Still think I got a shot at Hastings? LEOP program? And what other colleges would you suggest I apply to? I'm trying to move to CA, east coast is too cold, it's my ubringing in 100 F speaking :P please please advice !!! Thanks
Last edited by bessmarvin89 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Argh why did this LSAT have to kill me?
Last edited by bessmarvin89 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 pm

One last thing, I can't retake the LSAT I studied an year, took Kaplan, test masters and Princeton classes, did every question released by LSAC, bough those bibles still stuck with my LSAT score. Truth is I have an eidetic memory, helped me through college and I'm very good with technical nerd language. The time constraint, language issues, limited vocab really hurt me in the LSAT! I had a perfect on logic games section. I'm drained to bother taking it again, not lazy just tired of it. So I won't retake the LSAT. Does this LSAT even help you in law school? Any 1Ls enlighten me!! :) thanks everyone

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorg

Postby ilovesf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I'm a 1L at Hastings, you'll get in. They generally prefer high GPAs for admittance, like most UCs. That being said, you can definitely get into better schools and I'd apply to more if I were you, and retake. Anyway, I'll be happy to help if you have any questions about UCH.


Omg thank you for replying ! I was looking for a current UCH student. Here's my deal, I'm an immigrant I came to the US 5 years ago from a village, dint know English, was tutored for a few months, struggled though senior year graduated at16, started college I graduated college at 19. my UG institution was top 10 for hard sciences and I majored in biology, I worked all through college (20+ hours two jobs, worked at mcDonalds. Please don't laugh we were broke), have 2 years experience in scientific research (legit research, Im a co-author on 2 papers mentioned in 1). I was very involved in school activities, teaching assistant, tutor, research assistant, president for 3 clubs, student rep on several faculty-student committees, and did a lot of social service/leadership activities. I am currently working at a law firm, my boss is amazing, I actually do almost all drafting and legal research under supervision. I am also gonna end up at the court or at the DA's office this summer. Stellar LORs, gpa, MINORITY, I don't think I'm a URM I'm southeast Asian. Lol.. Still think I got a shot at Hastings? LEOP program? And what other colleges would you suggest I apply to? I'm trying to move to CA, east coast is too cold, it's my ubringing in 100 F speaking :P please please advice !!! Thanks


I think you'll get in. Make sure you write a diversity statement for your application explaining all of your experience and moving to the US. Asian isn't URM, but your story will still be a great one to put in a diversity statement and could help you. If you need help writing it, you should post a draft in the law school personal statements section of TLS. Honestly, if you 100% want CA and don't mind the application fees, I would just apply to most schools in CA: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, USC, UC Hastings, and for scholarship leverage, Loyola, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, and whatever comparable schools I'm forgetting to mention. I don't know if the rest of TLS agrees with me on this, but if you don't care about the fees, I definitely would apply to more schools. Splitter cycles can be really unpredictable. I regret not applying to more in my own cycle. You should also check to see if you have fee waivers from any of these schools so you only have to pay the $12. Also, since you're only applying next year, I would study really hard for the next 6 months and retake the LSAT in June. Once you get a better score, come back here and we'll give you more advice. And even though you say you can't retake it - you can. Work hard to improve your vocabulary and give it another shot.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:16 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:
If it will be a good letter of recommendation, definitely go for it. I am sure that law schools are used to seeing letters of rec that have too much "personality". At the very least, this would give you an excuse to say hi to your former professor. Its a good idea to keep social bonds strong in case you need anything else from him later on. (And of course in the distant future once you are established in a law job, you could help hook one of his future students up with an internship. Everybody wins.)


North, the thing is, I'm scared he might not give me a good recommendation. I could be specific and ask him if Davis really is for me and if he's willing to write me a recommendation where he will point out why I belong to Davis? Like I said he's a wack job, watch him completely wreck my recommendation, absolute possibility! Another possibility is my supervisor, then phD post doc who got hired by UC Davis, he had a crush on me and will definitely write me a good recommendation. So ask my ex-boss or the supervisor post doc?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby ilovesf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:20 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:
If it will be a good letter of recommendation, definitely go for it. I am sure that law schools are used to seeing letters of rec that have too much "personality". At the very least, this would give you an excuse to say hi to your former professor. Its a good idea to keep social bonds strong in case you need anything else from him later on. (And of course in the distant future once you are established in a law job, you could help hook one of his future students up with an internship. Everybody wins.)


North, the thing is, I'm scared he might not give me a good recommendation. I could be specific and ask him if Davis really is for me and if he's willing to write me a recommendation where he will point out why I belong to Davis? Like I said he's a wack job, watch him completely wreck my recommendation, absolute possibility! Another possibility is my supervisor, then phD post doc who got hired by UC Davis, he had a crush on me and will definitely write me a good recommendation. So ask my ex-boss or the supervisor post doc?

I think, in general, if someone doesn't have anything nice to say about you, they just won't write the recommendation. I haven't heard of someone actually writing a bad one.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorg

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:22 pm

ilovesf wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I'm a 1L at Hastings, you'll get in. They generally prefer high GPAs for admittance, like most UCs. That being said, you can definitely get into better schools and I'd apply to more if I were you, and retake. Anyway, I'll be happy to help if you have any questions about UCH.



I think you'll get in. Make sure you write a diversity statement for your application explaining all of your experience and moving to the US. Asian isn't URM, but your story will still be a great one to put in a diversity statement and could help you. If you need help writing it, you should post a draft in the law school personal statements section of TLS. Honestly, if you 100% want CA and don't mind the application fees, I would just apply to most schools in CA: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, USC, UC Hastings, and for scholarship leverage, Loyola, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, and whatever comparable schools I'm forgetting to mention. I don't know if the rest of TLS agrees with me on this, but if you don't care about the fees, I definitely would apply to more schools. Splitter cycles can be really unpredictable. I regret not applying to more in my own cycle. You should also check to see if you have fee waivers from any of these schools so you only have to pay the $12. Also, since you're only applying next year, I would study really hard for the next 6 months and retake the LSAT in June. Once you get a better score, come back here and we'll give you more advice. And even though you say you can't retake it - you can. Work hard to improve your vocabulary and give it another shot.


Sadly it's not in some schools, in some it is.. Still a female and broke though.. Lol.. my personal statement had my diversity statement incorporated, I talked about my experiences. My ex-college law school dean helped me with it so I do t need help, thank you. I hope I get into UCH , I'm skeptical of applying to ucla and Davis cause my minority status is shaky! UCH only has 35% females! Do you like UCH? How's that LSAT helping you in law school? And I explained in another post why I'm not retaking my LSAT.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 pm

ilovesf wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:


North, the thing is, I'm scared he might not give me a good recommendation. I could be specific and ask him if Davis really is for me and if he's willing to write me a recommendation where he will point out why I belong to Davis? Like I said he's a wack job, watch him completely wreck my recommendation, absolute possibility! Another possibility is my supervisor, then phD post doc who got hired by UC Davis, he had a crush on me and will definitely write me a good recommendation. So ask my ex-boss or the supervisor post doc?

I think, in general, if someone doesn't have anything nice to say about you, they just won't write the recommendation. I haven't heard of someone actually writing a bad one.


The guy is malicious, he gave an ex employee a horrible reference for his job, I was there when the phone call came along. He said the guy's strength was annoying people. In all honesty I'm ashamed of my low LSAT score after trying as well, this further makes me paranoid.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorg

Postby ilovesf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:37 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:Sadly it's not in some schools, in some it is.. Still a female and broke though.. Lol.. my personal statement had my diversity statement incorporated, I talked about my experiences. My ex-college law school dean helped me with it so I do t need help, thank you. I hope I get into UCH , I'm skeptical of applying to ucla and Davis cause my minority status is shaky! UCH only has 35% females! Do you like UCH? How's that LSAT helping you in law school? And I explained in another post why I'm not retaking my LSAT.

I don't really know where you are getting that number. The website says females are 51%. I really like UCH and I'm happy I decided to go here. I don't think the LSAT really has that much correlation to one's performance in law school, but then again, I don't have my grades back yet so I don't really know anything. I thought the common wisdom on TLS was to have a separate diversity statement, I would really check into that if I were you. I didn't write one because I'm not diverse whatsoever, but I would really consider writing another.

--LinkRemoved--

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorg

Postby bessmarvin89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:07 pm

[quote="ilovesf"][quote="bessmarvin89"]

I meant LEOP program, an LEOP admissions officer sent it to me. I don't know what year that is. And I dint really know what else to write, my application is already in. Even if I get into UC Hastings, like I said I'm broke, so money matters, I'm not even applying to pepperdine, Malibu is too expensive. I'll end up at Santa Clara or whoever gives me scholarship anyway. Again thanks for your help.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby Gail » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Have you considered going to Medical school instead?

If I had a 3.9 in a hard science like Biology, I'd forget anything I ever heard about law school. Serioulsy, Med school is good prospects and actual prestige.

Law school is awful prospects and diminishing prestige.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
The guy is malicious, he gave an ex employee a horrible reference for his job, I was there when the phone call came along. He said the guy's strength was annoying people. In all honesty I'm ashamed of my low LSAT score after trying as well, this further makes me paranoid.


In that case, definitely -do not- ask him. If Davis waitlists you, then it might be worth asking him to give them a call recommending you, but as of now it would not be worth the risk.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: UC Hastings, Santa Clara, McGeorge

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:49 am

Status Checker changed to "hold for 2nd review" at Santa Clara. Anyone know what that means? I applied ED so does Held for 2nd review = deffered to regular admission or waitlisted automatically? I have to admit I'm discouraged. I thought my chances were good. Kind of upset :(




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests