Attended vs Enrolled on Aps? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cidergirl

New

Attended vs Enrolled on Aps?

Post by cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:51 pm

My friend applied to law school two years ago, submitted a seat deposit to a school, and started the school's orientation, at which point she decided she hated being in a city and left the school. now she has decided to apply for the class of 2015, to schools that she feels are a better fit, and is not disclosing her previous experience on applications. she says that she only needs to disclose it on schools that ask about previous enrollment, whereas it is okay to omit it on schools that ask about attending because she only attended orientation and not actual classes. while i guess her interpretation of "attending" is arguable, i feel like she is screwing herself over for c&f four years down the road. am i right? she is afraid to disclose it because she's afraid it will hurt her chances, but i think she has to.

i'm hoping that people agreeing w/ me will help convince her to do the right thing...thanks guys

Gold

Re: Attended vs Enrolled on Aps?

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 pm

It won't hurt her chances to disclose, but it could be detrimental to not disclose when she graduates and the bar does their C&F evaluation. Do the right thing!

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:56 pm

she keeps making the case that she is technically correct in not disclosing because she never attended classes, using her "lawyering" logic to her disadvantage, blah. she said that for health insurance purposes you have to have been at the school at least 30 days to count as a student and thus she clearly never was a student...so stupid!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 pm

cidergirl wrote:she keeps making the case that she is technically correct in not disclosing because she never attended classes, using her "lawyering" logic to her disadvantage, blah. she said that for health insurance purposes you have to have been at the school at least 30 days to count as a student and thus she clearly never was a student...so stupid!
Well, that may or may not be true, but why risk it? :shock:

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:08 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
cidergirl wrote:she keeps making the case that she is technically correct in not disclosing because she never attended classes, using her "lawyering" logic to her disadvantage, blah. she said that for health insurance purposes you have to have been at the school at least 30 days to count as a student and thus she clearly never was a student...so stupid!
Well, that may or may not be true, but why risk it? :shock:
she is convinced that it will sabotage her chances of admission because she withdrew from a lot of classes and had a couple leaves of absences in college, so a withdrawal from a law school will make her look like she isn't a reliable candidate. meh. she is also afraid to ask the school she left for a letter of good standing because they gave her a hefty scholarship and werent thrilled when she left.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:31 pm

It's much safer to interpret "attend" broadly even though I do agree that it, along with her undergraduate withdrawals, may raise concerns.

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 am

Update: Friend finally started to take my advice seriously (thanks guys!) and called the LSAC, who told her that the record of her matriculation doesn't show up on her LSAC account. Do withdrawals usually show up/are they usually sent to other schools or is her situation some strange exception?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”