How to politely ask recommender to send in Letter asap?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CCNhopeful

How to politely ask recommender to send in Letter asap?

Postby CCNhopeful » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:12 pm

I dropped off Recommendation form along with stamped, addressed envelope, etc. to my professor around mid October and the Letter still hasn't been received/processed by LSAC.

TLS, I need your advice!

Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Re: How to politely ask recommender to send in Letter asap?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:24 pm

Are you sure that the professor is comfortable writing this recommendation on your behalf ? I ask because most letters can be written in ten or fifteen minutes.

Try taking another stamped, addressed envelope to him or her & mention that early applications have a better chance.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Do you know if they sent the LOR yet? It usually takes two or three weeks for LSAC to process the LOR once it has been received. Faxed LORs are sometimes processed same day, and sometimes they also take weeks to get through the system. It's impossible to predict these things.

I would follow up with your recommender to see if they sent the letter (it's possible they simply forgot about you). If they tell you that it was sent >2 weeks ago, I would ask them if they would be willing to send over a fax.

I had a recommender send my LOR via snail mail on 11/14, and it was just processed yesterday morning. Hope this helps - good luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Dear X,
I hope you are doing well. I am writing to check on the status of my letter of recommendation for law school. LSAC hasn't received the letter yet, and I just wanted to see where you are with it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me with your busy schedule. If you need any information for it, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Love,
Me

Something like that. If you know the person well enough, just drop by their office or call them. Less awkward.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:Dear X,
I hope you are doing well. I am writing to check on the status of my letter of recommendation for law school. LSAC hasn't received the letter yet, and I just wanted to see where you are with it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me with your busy schedule. If you need any information for it, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Love,
Me

Something like that. If you know the person well enough, just drop by their office or call them. Less awkward.

I would modify this a little bit. Perhaps state: I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to touch base and see if you require any additional materials from me regarding my Letter of Recommendation. LSAC has not received the letter..."

Also, it does NOT take fifteen minutes to write a letter of recommendation. A good recommender will need time to think about your qualifications before writing the LOR. Providing them with concrete examples of things you have done, a resume, anything that will give them materials to draw upon would be very helpful. If you haven't provided these materials up front that might be why such a delay has occurred.

Also, LSAC is taking a while to process some LORs.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:43 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you sure that the professor is comfortable writing this recommendation on your behalf ? I ask because most letters can be written in ten or fifteen minutes.

Try taking another stamped, addressed envelope to him or her & mention that early applications have a better chance.

Yeah, this is just not true. Both my parents are professors and writing letters, especially for students you care about, is not a matter of just sitting down and dashing something off. And some professors are just plain procrastinators. Don't be too worried about your prof not wanting to write the letter (though it's possible), OP, just send a gentle, polite reminder and see what happens. gl!

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:46 am

Threaten them.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 am

Or blackmail!

PoMama

Postby PoMama » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I read in another thread somewhere here on Top-Law that faxing the letter in was an option. I then called LSAC directly and learned it really is possible to do this.

Apparently LORs faxed into LSAC get posted more quickly. Personally, I have no idea why I can NEVER bring myself to put a stamp on something or even get a prestamped envelope in the mail -- but ask me to upload or fax something & I'm THERE.

I'd see if I could find that fax number on here and include it as an option (perhaps even a preferred one!) when you send that polite reminder email.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”