In need of some help . . . ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cj_stripe

New

In need of some help . . . ?

Post by cj_stripe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

I am currently a freshman at Iowa State University studying Aerospace Engineering. Our finals are coming up next week and my grades are looking like they wil post up a 3.4 maybe 3.5 GPA for the semester? Is that bad for an engineering major? . . . Also, I would like to try to plan to go to Law School after my undergrad, but I am really confused as to what to do right now. I find engineering difficult and very time consuming but it is interesting, but not my "passion" by any means. I just don't see myself as an engineer in the future. I wanted to ask, what do Law Schools look for in applicants? Being in engineering, would I still need to have a 3.6-3.8 college GPA? Do they look more at ECs (extra-circs) too?

Also, what do Law Schools think about being involved in student government? I ask because I am planning on running for election of a Senate seat on our Student Government this year.

Thank you for the help and comments!

:)

89vision

Bronze

Re: In need of some help . . . ?

Post by 89vision » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 am

The average engineering GPA at my school is around 3.0 (some programs are top 20 or even top 10).

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 am

cj_stripe wrote:I am currently a freshman at Iowa State University studying Aerospace Engineering. Our finals are coming up next week and my grades are looking like they wil post up a 3.4 maybe 3.5 GPA for the semester? Is that bad for an engineering major? . . . Also, I would like to try to plan to go to Law School after my undergrad, but I am really confused as to what to do right now. I find engineering difficult and very time consuming but it is interesting, but not my "passion" by any means. I just don't see myself as an engineer in the future. I wanted to ask, what do Law Schools look for in applicants? Being in engineering, would I still need to have a 3.6-3.8 college GPA? Do they look more at ECs (extra-circs) too?

Also, what do Law Schools think about being involved in student government? I ask because I am planning on running for election of a Senate seat on our Student Government this year.

Thank you for the help and comments!

:)
Unfortunately law schools really only care about your GPA. So a 3.6 communications major will beat your 3.4 any day. If your main concern is law school and you are unable to get a 3.66+ in your current major then i would recommend switching or buckling down. You don't want an easy major because that wont prepare you for law school, but an overly difficult major will hurt your GPA and your chances at a T14.
A student government position is unlikely to make much of a difference since you will be competing with applicants who have real governmental positions :mrgreen:

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 am

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Just FYI, it's only going to get harder after freshman year. Raising or even maintaining that 3.5 is by no means guaranteed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baller

New

Post by baller » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Just FYI, it's only going to get harder after freshman year. Raising or even maintaining that 3.5 is by no means guaranteed.

QFT. I am at a top 20 engineering program right now, and really struggling to maintain a 3.5 I know having a 3.0 will make you very competitive for engineering jobs, but it is not going to get you into any law school worth going to. You should get a much bigger bump then you do, but the system is broken. Get out while you can if you really want law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Some law schools, most notably Northwestern, make allowances for engineering GPAs so long as the applicant has a stellar LSAT score. All law schools adcomms probably understand the difficulty of achieving a high GPA in a challenging engineering program, but that awareness does not necessarily translate into acceptance due to the pressure of maintaining or increasing US News rank.

fakehunter

Bronze

Post by fakehunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:07 pm

Engineering is a very practical major, and don't do it unless you're sure you want to do it (or you're absolutely sure you want to do patent law.) Maybe wait another semester, see if gets easier or harder, and then decide? A 3.4 one semester won't kill you, especially if there's an upward trend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”