Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hsj219
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 am

Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby hsj219 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 am

Hello,

I'm in somewhat of a unique situation here:

2.99 Degree
3.17 Cumulative

Most people seem like they have D > C, but I had a downward trend..

Now, this may not matter much, but 3.00 just 'looks' better than 2.99 IMO.

How would this influence my admissions?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am

hsj219 wrote:How would this influence my admissions?


What, lying on an application to make your grades look slightly better?

hsj219
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby hsj219 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:50 am

Oh, no.. Not lying on my apps.

Just wondering what the'psychological' and 'real' impact of seeing 2.99 on my apps would be.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am

hsj219 wrote:Oh, no.. Not lying on my apps.

Just wondering what the'psychological' and 'real' impact of seeing 2.99 on my apps would be.

certain schools have a sort of gpa floor at 3.0. I suppose there would be a difference there (i.e. UVA)

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 am

hsj219 wrote:Oh, no.. Not lying on my apps.

Just wondering what the'psychological' and 'real' impact of seeing 2.99 on my apps would be.


I don't ever remember putting my degree GPA on any application. It isn't required, I am pretty sure.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:54 am

I think they just look at the LSDAS report and pick the higher of the two. I hope so, at least, because mine are slightly different too.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby john1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I think they just look at the LSDAS report and pick the higher of the two. I hope so, at least, because mine are slightly different too.


Are you sure,

I have a 3.82 degree GPA and a 3.28 LSDAS GPA so this would be good to know :mrgreen:
Last edited by john1990 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 am

john1990 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I think they just look at the LSDAS report and pick the higher of the two. I hope so, at least, because mine are slightly different too.


what?

I have a 3.82 degree GPA and a 3.28 LSDAS GPA so this would be good to know :mrgreen:


No, no, no. I said on the LSDAS report. It lists a cumulative GPA as well as a degree GPA. The degree GPA is not what your institute has on your official transcript. It's calculated by LSAC.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby john1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 pm

this is what i have on my ASR

Degree (Summary) GPA: 3.82
Degree Semester Hours: 28.0
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Cumulative Semester Hours: 101.0

I switched majors when i switched schools



sorry if i am stealing this thread :oops:


OP i would not inflate GPA and as much as i can tell your cumulative GPA is what matters anyway.
Last edited by john1990 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
john1990 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I think they just look at the LSDAS report and pick the higher of the two. I hope so, at least, because mine are slightly different too.


what?

I have a 3.82 degree GPA and a 3.28 LSDAS GPA so this would be good to know :mrgreen:


No, no, no. I said on the LSDAS report. It lists a cumulative GPA as well as a degree GPA. The degree GPA is not what your institute has on your official transcript. It's calculated by LSAC.

No, they create the LSDAS gpa based on a combinations of whatever cumulative gpas you have and how they restructure the grades

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:No, they create the LSDAS gpa based on a combinations of whatever cumulative gpas you have and how they restructure the grades


I'm confused. The school creates the LSDAS GPA based on the above? If my degree and cum. GPAs are different on the LSDAS report, how does this work exactly?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:No, they create the LSDAS gpa based on a combinations of whatever cumulative gpas you have and how they restructure the grades


I'm confused. The school creates the LSDAS GPA based on the above? If my degree and cum. GPAs are different on the LSDAS report, how does this work exactly?

I don't know a ton about it b/c my gpa didn't change, but they give you an LSDAS gpa for every institution, then weigh them together. For example, I had a 3.53 at my UG and a 4.0 from a summer class at the local CC, so my cum LSDAS gpa was 3.54. If you have a 3.7 but LSDAS restructures it (using whatever voodoo bs they use) to a 3.55 and you have another gpa of 3.9, your cum LSDAS will be somewhere between 3.55 and 3.9, based on how many credits came from each school. The 3.7 no longer matters at all.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby john1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134392

Here they say its only the cumulative GPA that matters, but that some one with a higher degree GPA will have a soft advantage.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Q about my Degree GPA (2.99 vs. 3.00)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Good to know, I took a couple CC courses as well. While they only gave a small boost, they changed the tenths place in my GPA. Makes it look so much better, so I understand where OP is coming from.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cjsanders2 and 4 guests