UG GPA: having really uneven grades? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Halie

New

UG GPA: having really uneven grades?

Post by Halie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 am

For example, if someone has a 3.5 GPA that is made up of mostly As with a few Cs, is that worse than someone who has a solid mix of As and Bs? I have a pretty good GPA and I'm pretty sure a few Cs are headed my way, but I know my GPA will still stay pretty high. Does that look worse than the second situation? I realize this is a really specific, pointless question (sorry) but I'm just curious.

john1990

Silver

Re: UG GPA: having really uneven grades?

Post by john1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 am

Halie wrote:For example, if someone has a 3.5 GPA that is made up of mostly As with a few Cs, is that worse than someone who has a solid mix of As and Bs? I have a pretty good GPA and I'm pretty sure a few Cs are headed my way, but I know my GPA will still stay pretty high. Does that look worse than the second situation? I realize this is a really specific, pointless question (sorry) but I'm just curious.
GPA trend are considered soft factors which only come into play when 2 applicants are otherwise even. That being said, an upward trend is better than a downward trend, and the sharper the downward trend the worse. I wouldn't worry much about it though since this factor will likely have a nominal impact.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 pm

I can confidently say that this won't have any effect on your application cycle. I had a couple Cs and a D/F (with a similar cumulative GPA). Didn't write a GPA addendum. So far so good.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Don't quote me, but I believe Ann Levine's book says that mostly A's and a few C's is better than a steady mix of A's and B's.

At the end of the day though, the GPA is what matters, not necessarily how you get there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”