UG GPA: having really uneven grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Halie

New

UG GPA: having really uneven grades?

Postby Halie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 am

For example, if someone has a 3.5 GPA that is made up of mostly As with a few Cs, is that worse than someone who has a solid mix of As and Bs? I have a pretty good GPA and I'm pretty sure a few Cs are headed my way, but I know my GPA will still stay pretty high. Does that look worse than the second situation? I realize this is a really specific, pointless question (sorry) but I'm just curious.

john1990

Silver

Re: UG GPA: having really uneven grades?

Postby john1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 am

Halie wrote:For example, if someone has a 3.5 GPA that is made up of mostly As with a few Cs, is that worse than someone who has a solid mix of As and Bs? I have a pretty good GPA and I'm pretty sure a few Cs are headed my way, but I know my GPA will still stay pretty high. Does that look worse than the second situation? I realize this is a really specific, pointless question (sorry) but I'm just curious.

GPA trend are considered soft factors which only come into play when 2 applicants are otherwise even. That being said, an upward trend is better than a downward trend, and the sharper the downward trend the worse. I wouldn't worry much about it though since this factor will likely have a nominal impact.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 pm

I can confidently say that this won't have any effect on your application cycle. I had a couple Cs and a D/F (with a similar cumulative GPA). Didn't write a GPA addendum. So far so good.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Don't quote me, but I believe Ann Levine's book says that mostly A's and a few C's is better than a steady mix of A's and B's.

At the end of the day though, the GPA is what matters, not necessarily how you get there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�