Grades in graduate level courses?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cypherscouter13

Grades in graduate level courses?

Postby cypherscouter13 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm

rgergerg
Last edited by cypherscouter13 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Grades in graduate level courses?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Your undergrad GPA and LSAT scores will count for far more than anything else. Grad courses might factor in, but only a little.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Usually graduate school grades don't really count for law school admissions.

Dropping out of a graduate program with bad grades might count against you, though, since you're applying to another graduate program and that is exactly what they want to avoid. The only person I know who dropped out of a PhD program and applied to law schools underperformed his numbers (yes, that's anecdotal evidence, but anecdotal evidence is all we've got here). He was a 171/177 with a high GPA and ended up at Northwestern with some scholarship money a couple of cycles ago.

How long would you have to stick around for an MA? How good is the story you can tell about why you're leaving?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Usually graduate school grades don't really count for law school admissions.

Dropping out of a graduate program with bad grades might count against you, though, since you're applying to another graduate program and that is exactly what they want to avoid. The only person I know who dropped out of a PhD program and applied to law schools underperformed his numbers (yes, that's anecdotal evidence, but anecdotal evidence is all we've got here). He was a 171/177 with a high GPA and ended up at Northwestern with some scholarship money a couple of cycles ago.

How long would you have to stick around for an MA? How good is the story you can tell about why you're leaving?

This. The GPA will have a tiny effect, but dropping out could have a larger effect. As quoted, either finish the program or write an addendum on why you're dropping out. With a good addendum, you'd probably mitigate the negative impact.

cypherscouter13

Postby cypherscouter13 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:40 pm

dgsg
Last edited by cypherscouter13 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

cypherscouter13 wrote:I am considering dropping out because my personal interests have changed - I have recently gained more of an interest in law than in working on theoretical physics problems. Besides law school, I'm also considering dropping out so I can get a job in industry as a programmer or something like that.

I'd probably have to stay another year to get an MS. I could spend the time necessary to improve my current grades, since finals are coming up, but I'm just wondering if it's really worth it or not.

Without even considering law school or anything like that - I would say that if you can afford it and if you're not going to go crazy by trying to finish, try to at least get the next year done so you can get the MS and lock in the work you already did. After that, I think they allow you to take time off if you ask for it, during which you can decide what to do.

cypherscouter13

Postby cypherscouter13 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

dsfads
Last edited by cypherscouter13 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:02 pm

cypherscouter13 wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:try to at least get the next year done so you can get the MS and lock in the work you already did. After that, I think they allow you to take time off if you ask for it, during which you can decide what to do.

My graduate department has already given me the option to take a leave of absence. I will probably do this at the end of this semester

There's a lot to consider, but I think you have valid reasons for quitting. If you manage it well, it probably won't impact your application measurably. Wouldn't the MS be useful in pursuing patent/IP law, though? Or is that not an interest for you?

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 pm

I would just stay and get your master's degree in Physics. And then decide what you want to do from that point.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:57 pm

If you can (without going totally crazy), stick it out and get the MS. Also, don't make any rash decisions *right now*. It's the most stressful part of one of the most stressful parts of grad school. You might feel different after you get a break.

cypherscouter13

Postby cypherscouter13 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:37 pm

sfdgh
Last edited by cypherscouter13 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:02 am

Honestly, I think the consensus is that if it's possible, you should finish at least the MS, even if you don't want to do IP. If you want to go into industry, and MS guarantees a higher starting salary and probably position, and it'll probably look better for any application or resume than leaving.

But you know yourself, and if sticking around a program you lost interest in is going to kill you, do what you need to do. I still recommend sticking around if you can.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”