How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Already applied to Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UGA, but one of my LOR writers forgot to send in the letter (sigh) and now LSAC is taking forever to process it (2+ weeks).

Should I just go ahead and apply to NYU/Michigan/Northwestern with only 1 LOR? These are my target schools so I hate to do this, but it seems like now a lot of acceptances are starting to go out now.

Also, I was pretty much set on not EDing anywhere and seeing how the cycle played out, but because I'm getting my apps in late, should I reconsider EDing to UVA? (As its the only place I can still ED to).

My stats are 175/3.39

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

Postby Samara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:17 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:Already applied to Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UGA, but one of my LOR writers forgot to send in the letter (sigh) and now LSAC is taking forever to process it (2+ weeks).

Should I just go ahead and apply to NYU/Michigan/Northwestern with only 1 LOR? These are my target schools so I hate to do this, but it seems like now a lot of acceptances are starting to go out now.

Also, I was pretty much set on not EDing anywhere and seeing how the cycle played out, but because I'm getting my apps in late, should I reconsider EDing to UVA? (As its the only place I can still ED to).

My stats are 175/3.39

NU hasn't sent out any decisions yet and Michigan has only sent out a few, so I think you're okay waiting a little bit longer on those schools. Check the NYU thread to see where they are at. If I were you though, I would submit today and update your file when the second LOR comes in. They aren't going to process your file right away, but you will still "get in line" and avoid the "late penalty."

As for EDing to UVa, you're still early enough in the cycle that you should get a few T14 schools. Unless you're fine with UVa at sticker, I wouldn't ED.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

Postby snehpets » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:19 pm

I would submit to NYU right away. I don't know much about the others, but NYU took about two weeks to put me under review, which gives you some time. You could maybe include an addendum of some sort saying that your other rec letter was in the process of getting to them?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 pm

NU only requires 1 LOR, right? Apply there right away and send the other letter in later if you want.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Looks like I applied to NYU on 12/12, but I wasn't a splitter. Not sure what to tell you - with other schools I'd say call the admissions office, but NYU has their phones staffed with undergrads or something.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How much am I getting hurt by not applying now?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Samara wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:Already applied to Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UGA, but one of my LOR writers forgot to send in the letter (sigh) and now LSAC is taking forever to process it (2+ weeks).

Should I just go ahead and apply to NYU/Michigan/Northwestern with only 1 LOR? These are my target schools so I hate to do this, but it seems like now a lot of acceptances are starting to go out now.

Also, I was pretty much set on not EDing anywhere and seeing how the cycle played out, but because I'm getting my apps in late, should I reconsider EDing to UVA? (As its the only place I can still ED to).

My stats are 175/3.39

NU hasn't sent out any decisions yet and Michigan has only sent out a few, so I think you're okay waiting a little bit longer on those schools. Check the NYU thread to see where they are at. If I were you though, I would submit today and update your file when the second LOR comes in. They aren't going to process your file right away, but you will still "get in line" and avoid the "late penalty."

As for EDing to UVa, you're still early enough in the cycle that you should get a few T14 schools. Unless you're fine with UVa at sticker, I wouldn't ED.


Michigan has sent out more than a few. At this point, applying this late to any school is going to hurt you considerably. While decisions may not have gone out, those apps are already in the process and you're going on the bottom of the pile. I'd get on it ASAP OP.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], JoshLyman13 and 4 guests