ED question / scholarship negotiations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoPro

ED question / scholarship negotiations

Postby SoPro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Numbers: 3.94, 172.

I'm a Virginia resident, and UVa is by far my number one school. Using lawschoolnumbers.com, I believe I have a favorable chance of getting accepted, but I will not be able to afford UVa sticker, and I am extremely debt averse.

I've considered ED'ing to UVa to enhance my acceptance chances, but of course this eliminates my ability to negotiate scholarships.

Any thoughts on my situation are welcome. Also, if anyone knows anything about negotiating schollys/the process/etc, I'd love to hear from you.

bobbyh1919

Re: ED question / scholarship negotiations

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:44 pm

With those numbers and the fact that you live in Virginia, I feel like you're a good bet for acceptance regardless of doing an ED. It's obviously riskier not to do an ED if you really want to go there, but I feel like there is much bigger upside in doing a RD in that they may themselves offer you some money up front, and you'd be in position to negotiate for more.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm

I absolutely would not ED. You are above both medians and a resident, there is no need. Write an amazing Why UVa, state explicitly that UVa is your number one choice, and enjoy a big scholly.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Good lord do not ED. Write an awesome Why UVA essay and you should be good to go.

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks. Any comments on the process of scholarship negotiation?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm

1) Acquire scholly offers
2) ???
3) Profit

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 am

InGoodFaith wrote:1) Acquire scholly offers
2) ???
3) Profit

Someone explain 2.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 am

SoPro wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:1) Acquire scholly offers
2) ???
3) Profit

Someone explain 2.

It's a joke structure to highlight the simplicity of scholarship negotiations. There should be plenty of information on it in the articles and sticky posts. Check out the financial aid subforum and start a thread in there if you have specific questions. Good luck!

baller

Postby baller » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 am

1) Don't ED, and apply to at least MVPB and CCN. Even if the only school you want is UVA. Write a good why UVA essay. Try to get fee waivers, but if not apply anyway the couple hundred is going to be worth the thousands you will save

2) Wait till January-ish when money offers start coming in keep an eye on threads here so you know when the offers start coming

3) Inform UVA of your other offers and say something along the lines "UVA is my first choice blah blah blah, but because of (insert offer) from blah blah finical considerations blah blah. See the sticky in the finical aid section for how do to this properly.

4) Inform all other schools of your offers and try to get them to bump theirs.

5) go back to UVA and try to get them to bump theirs again if you manage to get a bump from other schools.

6) Go to UVA on the cheap

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”