Apply now or wait for my December Score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jimbola

Apply now or wait for my December Score

Postby Jimbola » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Wondering if at this point it is worth it to get my applications in now, or just wait till my December score is reported. Will schools look at my application again if I send in the December scores after applying?

crazyblink653

Re: Apply now or wait for my December Score

Postby crazyblink653 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:07 pm

if you don't already have a reportable score, law schools will not look at your application until you have one.

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:55 pm

I do have a reportable score, but I am re-taking on Saturday.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Schools will see that you are signed up to re-take and hold your app until they receive the new score. Rarely they will miss this, so it's good to send a note as well indicating that you are re-taking. Some people say it is better to have your app already in when the scores are released, but they won't look at it until the new score come in either way, so whatever makes you happy.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Jimbola,

I actually had the exact same concern, and it all actually varies based on where you are applying. I contacted several of the schools I was interested in, and received quite different answers. For example, UT suggested that a student who is planning on retaking in December to submit his/her application just before taking the test. That way, it will be slightly ahead of other test takers who submit afterwards. If you submit too early, however, they will set it aside.
On the other hand, the Vanderbilt representative I spoke with suggested that there is absolutely no competitive advantage to submitting an application prior to receiving your December score, because if they see that you are registered to take the December test, then they will simply set your application aside until they receive the December score.
So long story short, it really depends on the school, and the best thing for you to do is to contact them personally.

Hope this helps.

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks to you all. The information on this post was very helpful. I am currently applying to my safety and target schools and my lsat score is well within and above their ranges. I was hoping they would actually review my application NOW. I wanted whatever extra benefit I could gain from applying early. I'm signed up for another go at the LSAT on Saturday. So much for turning those apps in as early as I could.

I'm retaking the LSAT because I thought 'hey, I've got time and I've already put so much time into it, why not?" And hopefully if i can score higher I'll have more options. *fingers crossed*

But then if i don't score higher.... =/

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am

Hmmm. I'm still waiting on a letter of recommendation, so I might as well wait.

Thanks for the info all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”