Resume - Please HELP with Draft

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rbaker36

Resume - Please HELP with Draft

Postby rbaker36 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 am

One page for a resume doesn't seem to be enough to cover everything. For example, I didn't include my entire work history, only my last two jobs. I also didn't include any work related awards or commendations. Should I let that information go or include it by cutting back on some of the details I've already provided?
--ImageRemoved--

rbaker36

Re: Resume - Please HELP with Draft

Postby rbaker36 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:08 am

11 views and not one comment? Please?

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 am

Most places don't mind if it's over one page. I have seen I think it's either Stanford or Boalt that has some special kind of resume they want, but I didn't apply there so I don't know. And Yale only wants one page. But I think you can add your awards and other stuff and not worry about it being two pages. Mine was a full two pages and I've done fine in my cycle so far with not-amazing numbers.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Resumes are supposed to be one page, based on what employers want and what my advisers said. A lot of what you put on your resume is already covered under the employment and EC section of the application, so I don't think it's necessary to extensively repeat information. I had 6 jobs and 6 EC's on my resume and limited it to one page.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 pm

One page is the rule, unless you have substantial WE (read: 5+ years of full time work experience).

sasuke

Postby sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:37 pm

If you have a lot of work experience, which most people on here don't have, two pages is more than fine. I went to an admissions event where the Deans of Michigan, Chicago, and Penn said as much. If you're applying for a job, one page is usually the standard.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm

damm u have good softs, marines and cop...not too shabby...

rbaker36

Postby rbaker36 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 am

Thanks for all the feedback!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 am

You can include more positions if you've got them. I would probably cut down on some of the formality in your descriptions. The official titles aren't really necessary, just describe who it is you supervise (officers, detectives, etc..)

I would probably list some details under your military position.

I would eliminate the leadership section entirely and list Presidency of Police Officer's Association as an "experience" position, without the work. The other two positions aren't really very meaningful (sorry).

Were you really enrolled in community college continuously for 23 years? That doesnt' sound right. I would put the years of your enrollment instead of a date range.

You can do 2 pages, but if it all fits in one page, that is just cleaner. I think you can cut this one down a bit and have room to add back some of what you left out of this draft.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:28 am

Law school applications are the one opportunity you have to be completely inclusive and go over one page. They'd prefer more information and unless it says otherwise, assume you can exceed one page.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:10 am

Just a general comment for the OP.
I would try a different format for the resume. The one you are using doesn't feel very clean.
The dates, positions, and location should be easy to scan. Right now, all of those numbers clustered with the position seem pretty disorganized. Even if you don't completely reformat the resume, I would consider right justified dates (below the locations) using month (spelled out) and year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”