prep course or independent study?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamanerd

prep course or independent study?

Postby iamanerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:39 pm

I graduated from a Little Three college in May with a 3.79 overall, 3.93 major gpa, with high honors in history. I was editor of a journal and won some departmental awards. By the time I apply in the fall I will have experience in digital publishing and real estate.

I took an old LSAT w/o preparation and got a 157, losing more than half of those points in the logic games section. I know the PowerScore books are the best, but is it worth taking a class?

I have to score in the 170s because if I don't get into a top 14 I'm not going.

JamMasterJ

Re: prep course or independent study?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Work with the PS Bibles or Manhattan's guides along with drilling by question type for a month, then take a PT. If you are having a lot of trouble grasping the general concepts, take the course, otherwise use one of the self-study guides. You will know what you need to work on based on feel and gaining experience with the test.

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I mean, if you are smart enough, you really don't need the course. But you will have to have discipline and put in the effort. Given your high grades, I'm sure you're used to working hard so just buckle down and study. I think a lot of high achieving people take prep courses as a just in case measure because you don't want to have any regrets. Usually, you can just do it on your own. I did. :) You'll be fine.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:05 pm

PITHYPIKE....

Before you spend any of your hard earned money on classes. I have speny over $3k on classes (yes, including powerscore) and yet Pithypike's method brought it all together and my score increased.

My suggestion, Pithypike first and then invest in a class, if you still feel compelled to spend the money.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:15 pm

If you're losing points on games, self study.

If you're not scoring 165+ after going through the LG and LR bibles, then sign up for a class.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:43 pm

lats19nys wrote:I mean, if you are smart enough, you really don't need the course. But you will have to have discipline and put in the effort. Given your high grades, I'm sure you're used to working hard so just buckle down and study. I think a lot of high achieving people take prep courses as a just in case measure because you don't want to have any regrets. Usually, you can just do it on your own. I did. :) You'll be fine.

not a significant correlation

DefyingGravity

Postby DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Being an effective independent studier isn't so much a function of smartness as much as it is a function of discipline. If you are sufficiently self motivated to work through several practice tests and workbooks on your own, then you may want to try self study. If you think the accountability of a class will help you achieve your personal best, then go register!

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:41 pm

...lol some of you who made comments about what I wrote, you might have to rethink your logic since you guys all made assumptions that shouldn't have been inferred. ROFL.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”